Chapter Five

I stand in front of the red mahogany, Georgian-era front door, the one I have knocked on countless times at all hours of the day

I stand in front of the red mahogany, Georgian-era front door, the one I have knocked on countless times at all hours of the day. I stare at it trying to lock away all the memories of the past to gather the strength to ring the bell and go inside.
I stare. I stare and I stare.
He is probably still in London.
I hope he isn't.
I keep having these conflicting thoughts for a while before I finally decide to shake them away, clear my head and ring the doorbell with the slightest touch of my index finger.

Moments later, I am greeted by a warm hug from Sam, inviting me into the house. I look around the house to notice how it's still the same.
I walk down the two steps of stairs, and walk straight, entering the living room from its right entrance.
One of the sofas is facing the table, which has a cup of tea and a copy of Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, which I assume is a book that Sam is currently reading. Just beside the sofas and the table is the fireplace that has family pictures right above its mantelpiece. I smile as I spot a picture from afar, a picture of Liam and me from when we were kids as we are covered in paint, carefree.
"I am so happy that you came here. Dad has been asking about you since yesterday." Sam says making me look at her, away from all the pictures, away from all the memories.
"Yeah, mum told me. Is he in his room?" I say pointing my thumb towards the staircase.
"Yeah, go on," she says "I assume you remember the way," settling down on the sofa.
"Yeah, thanks", I say smiling at her as I move to the other entrance that leads to the staircase for Pops' room.
"Find me later, we'll catch up," she says from the sofa.
I mumble an okay as I disappear into the other hallway.

I am greeted with a massive hug from Pops room when he opens his door. He looks a little older now. I cannot even comprehend what that day did to him. I don't know how he ever forgave me after what that night took away from him. How he could even look at me without remembering that night let alone still be that lovable elderly figure in my life.
I guess I still feel guilty; embarrassed.
He was the only person, other than Mum, I ever called from Cambridge.
Does Liam know that?

"How are you, darling?" his question brings me back to reality.
"I am fine. I missed you." I say as we break away from the hug.
"I hope you are better from the last time we talked or would you want me to reprimand you again?"
"I still don't know how you are so calm and how can you even talk to me?" I say in a soft, shaky voice.
"None of it was your fault Keira. Always remember that and time does heal things, my dear. I was there the day you were born, with your grandpa and you know I love you as much as I love Liam and I will not be insulted with you insinuating otherwise." He says faking anger towards the end, making me laugh.
"Now, I would love to chat with you further but I need to head to London for some work. Also, before I forget, there is a gala on Sunday. I am glad you are in time to be here for it. Now, what would you want from a welcome home present?"
"What? No, I don't need one." I say trying to convince him otherwise.
"Nonsense! Now, erm, do you have dress for the gala?" He says as an idea occurs to him.
"Yeah, I probably do"
"But we can't have you wearing an old dress now, can we?" he says making me face-palm myself and continues, "I am gifting you one---it's a welcome home present." He says holding his hand up to stop me from arguing.
"Can you go fetch Liam for me? I think he is upstairs."
And in that moment, my heart sinks, my smile fades and colour drains from my face.
"Don't tell me you haven't met him yet?" Pops says guessing because of my pale face now.
"I didn't--, he was in London---"
"Excuses," he says interrupting me.
"Go meet the poor lad!"
"I have to---"
"Don't you try to fool your Pops with a lie," he says sternly and then he sighs, his expressions softening as he puts an assuring hand on my shoulder and continues, "It's been three years, Kiera. Delaying it will cause you more pain than facing it, believe me. There's no better time than right now. Go on, talk to him."
I take deep breath, "Okay," I say and turn to exit his room.