Chapter Ten

I walk over to Liam's place along with Reece later that night after dinner

I walk over to Liam's place along with Reece later that night after dinner. As Sam opens the door, she almost immediately spots Reece and I see her expressions change from confusion to happiness to excitement within a second.

"I hope you remember me," she asks Reece smiling at him.
Have they met before?
"Of course I do, Gran Sam." Reece replies with an adorable grin of recognition.
Sam reads my puzzled expression and she tries to hide her worried face and distract me, "Liam is upstairs. He told me you had plans."
"Can I have the chocolate chip cookies you baked from me last time?" Reece asks Sam looking at her with a hopeful expression.
With Sam's purposeful distraction and worried face, curiosity gets the best of me and I ask her, "Last time?"
"Erm...Luke came home like two years ago. He stayed here for quite some time," she says though her expressions seem as if it was not a happy memory.
"Oh! Mum never told me." I say trying to remember if she did.
"It must have slipped her mind. Let it be," Sam says now avoiding eye contact.
Something happened.
"Erm...yeah" I say deciding this was not the time to probe further.
Sam continues to talk to Reece asking him if he would like to help her with the cookies as we walk inside the house and into the living room.
"Why don't you go upstairs, Kiera? I'll send him upstairs in a while" Sam says as an excited Reece answers a yes to her question.
"Okay"

I reach the second floor to find the common space empty with the door to Liam's study partially opened. I walk inside further and find Liam sleeping on the armchair with a docket that has now fallen on his lap, the light from the lamp accentuating his features. I move closer to him stealing away this time to look at him in peace not realizing the smile that has crept on my face from the moment I saw him. He is sleeping with his mouth partially open with his glasses on.
He looks sexier with glasses on.
I take the docket away carefully, hoping to not wake him up, and place it on the table.
I bend down and move closer to his face, looking at him, tempted to ruffle his hair and wake him up only because I knew how much it annoyed him. Resisting my temptation, I slowly bend forward as I attempt to slowly take out his glasses. He shakes because of the moment and partially opens his eyes. My heart sinks and my hands are frozen in air holding his glasses, feeling like a kid who has just been caught stealing candy from the kitchen.
He smirks as his eyes adjust to the light, "I haven't woken up to this face in a while," he says in a soft whisper smirking, just loud enough to give me Goosebumps as the realization of our proximity is dawning on me now.
I jerk away in motion, standing straight up, fidgeting with his glasses and awkwardly attempting to explain myself.
"Erm, you were sleeping and you look tired," I say avoiding eye contact.
"I wasn't complaining, love. It is so much better than waking up to Seth's shouting face," he says now moving closer to me, "better than anyone actually" he mumbles softly in my ears.
I try to hide away my smile and the semi eye-roll on his corny comments as I look at him.
"Well, the day is almost ending and you look tired. Why don't you go sleep in your bedroom? You'll sprain your neck this way," I say changing the topic and taking a step back before my knees give up from the dizziness his proximity is causing me.
He rubs his eyes now making sense of the time and says, "What? No. I am up now and I won't be sleeping anyways now."
"What do you mean?" I ask puzzled now looking at him.
His eyes widen with I think was fright before he goes back to his calm exposure. "It means that I can't possibly sleep and break my promise to a little boy and on that note, where is Reece?" He says averting his eyes from me and moving away, collecting his things from the table.
He is not telling me something.
"He is downstairs with Sam. They are baking cookies so it's going to be a while," I say as I look at him trying to figure out what he meant.
"Okay. I'll just freshen up then. Give me minute?" he says looking at me.
"Erm, yeah. I'll be outside," I say handing him his glasses.