Chapter Twelve

I would lose every time just to see you smile, Miss Rutherford

I try to stop those words and that voice from playing in my head when I drive back to Headington, when I see Reece all excited to go sight-seeing in London, when I get dressed up to go out and even when I see his very message saying that he is waiting for us outside.
He always had a way with words, his slightest compliment affecting me more than I could ever admit in front of him. So, as always, I pretended to be back to normal when I see him leaning on his car, waiting for Reece and me.
"So, are you excited to go see London, buddy?" Liam asks Reece as we get seated inside the car.
"Yes, I wish dad and mum were coming though," he says frowning a little, making my heart melt at the sight of him. Luke got caught up with work and Mum convinced Jen that she needed a break too, so I look at Liam unsure what to say to make my little nephew happy.
Liam looks at me smiling assuredly before he turns back to face, "but then how will we eat all the ice-cream that we are not actually supposed to?"
"Ice-cream?"
"Yeah, just try to decide all the flavours you want and it'll be our secret."
"YESSS!!," Reece says all excited now making my heart melt again.
"Hopefully, he is not going to throw it in my face like his Aunt," Liam says softly to me, smirking, as he starts driving.
"Okay, that happened one time!"
"I brought you chocolate ice-cream and you threw it at me because that 'is not how chocolate is supposed to taste like',"
"Because it didn't and it was seven years ago. Are you ever going to let that go?" I say as I remember the day. I had just gotten my first period and I was lying in bed all day, too grumpy and in pain to do anything. When I shouted at Liam and told him what's going on, he went away, researched all about it and then brought almost all flavours of ice-cream, so that we could watch The Simpsons and eat away. I did kind of throw the ice-cream bucket at him. I look at him thinking of the day, he always knew how to make me smile and made sure I always was.
I would lose every time just to see you smile, Miss Rutherford.
His words running through my head again.
I wish I would have done the same for you.

We tour most of the city showing Reece around. It was adorable seeing Liam and Reece together making funny faces at the guards at Buckingham palace, or eating away all the candy at the candy shops. I knew Liam was glancing at me every now and then, feeling as nostalgic as was I when we went to all the places, especially the old toy shop in Old London where grandpa used to take us. At around 5, we are on our way to home, with Reece already asleep with exhaustion when Liam's phone rings. He murmurs something about going to the office.
Does he ever sleep?
"Kiera, Charloette called about a meeting being moved up, since I am already in London, I though I'll get started with work right away. Do you mind driving Reece back to Headington?" he says to me after hanging up the phone.
"Erm, yeah, sure," I say, however, I can't stop but be a little worried thinking about how less he sleeps.
When we reach the office, we coincidentally spot Luke coming out.
"Hey, what are you guys doing here?" Luke asks us as he approaches the car.
"The meeting for the new project got pushed up and I thought I will get started on the final business plan,"
"Oh, yes I heard. Well, I am sure you can work it out, let me know if you need help. How was Reece's day out?"
"He had so much fun and we might have exhausted him a little too much, he's sleeping in the car. Are you heading back home?" I ask him an idea popping in my head.
"Yeah,"
"Well," I say hesitantly looking at Liam, "Why don't I come with you to the office? I mean, I don't mean to disturb you but maybe I could be of help. I did complete my bachelor's in this field and if Luke is going home, he can just take Reece,"
"Yeah sure, I'd love that," Liam says smiling at me before Luke could object.