Chapter Fourteen

I open my eyes to a different wall, different yet oddly familiar

I open my eyes to a different wall, different yet oddly familiar. I sit up, rubbing my eyes to take in my surroundings and remember the night before, realizing now that I am in Liam's room though he is nowhere to be seen. I remember we started to watch Harry Potter; I must have fallen asleep in the middle of the movie, but I don't remember coming to his room.
He carried me.
I get up to look around, shaking away the thought. I scan the room closely to notice the changes since I was last in here.
It's been three years.
It looks quite different, almost no traces of his old-self. The bean bag replaced with a plant, no posters on the wall anymore, no video games lying around, and no half-read comics on the floor.
It is immaculate; everything in its place, not even a paper out of place, almost as if it belongs to someone much older.
I spot my phone on the study table and as I go over to pick it up, I get a glimpse of First Edition of 'Atonement'.
His birthday present!
I run my fingers over the cover with my hand and my mind drifts to his reaction, his smile. He was obsessed with the book. After umpteenth attempts, I finally managed to track down the author, Ian McEwan, to get him a signed copy. He looked so excited as he unwrapped it at midnight, the two of us sitting alone in my balcony with some champagne and a cake for his seventeenth birthday. Smiling and remembering his reaction, I open the cover to re-read what I wrote him but instead I mistakenly chuck his wallet on the floor.
Just as I am about to bend down to pick it up, I hear the door click and I stand back up to see a shirtless, 'chiseled abs shirtless'  Liam walk in, his eyes puzzled for a second when he looks at the empty bed. He glances around the room and walks inside as he spots me by the study table, a grin forming on his face as he walks towards me.

"Good morning, love," he says as I try not to notice how his physique has changed in these years, his abs and muscles much more well-defined.
Was he blessed by some Greek God in these years or something? Not that he needed it before!
"I said Good Morning, love," he says as I look away to meet his eyes, smugness dripping from his tone.
"You parade around the entire house shirtless now, do you Addington?" I ask him refusing to back down.
"Only when you are around," he says gruffly with the slyest wink.
I roll my eyes, turn around and move towards his closet, mostly to hide my blush from him.
"Well, I don't know who fell asleep more quickly to the harp? You or Fluffy?" he says as I open his cupboard to get out a shirt, plainly ignoring the fact how normal this feels.
"I didn't even get past the philosopher's stone?" I say grumpily as I take out a sky blue, short-sleeved, casual shirt.
"I need a more formal shirt, I have to go to the office," he says as I show him the shirt and then continues, "I think you slept right before the Quidditch match" he says smiling at me.
"I thought you had classes today?" I ask him while looking for a formal shirt.
"Just two, I will be free by noon. The review board wants to hear the update on the project tomorrow, we are presenting the final plans a week from now and as you know there is still some work left to be done," he says as I hand him as royal blue shirt, skin fit full-sleeved shirt.
"Oh, well I get free around 2. I can meet you after that?"
"No, I have got it under control," he says as he finishes buttoning his shirt and starts to roll up his sleeves.
"Besides, you would want to spend time with Luke, Reece and Jen today."
"Why?"
He looks at me hesitantly, "Well, he just called me. Jenifer has to go back, there's some work emergency and even Luke has to handle a board meeting--,"
"But they just got here. Can't he just do it over a video call or something?"
"I am afraid not, love. Sorry" he says reading my sad expression.
"It's alright, I will see y—-Oh your wallet," I say spotting it on the floor,"-it fell down when I was--," I start to say, bending down to pick it up but Liam beats me to it, as he hastily picks it up and pockets it almost too quickly.
"Never mind, I got it," he says suddenly avoiding eye contact.
Odd
"Erm, as I was saying, I will see you later, then," I continue, not thinking too much into his strange behaviour.
"Later, love," he says smiling at me.
I turn around as he calls out my name, "Erm, if Luke asks about y-yesterday, you know—"he says with a slight tone of fear.
I simply smug, calling him a wimp before walking out.