Thirty Two

Mila.

I woke up to a headache.

I opened my eyes, seeing the sides of the hospital bed up, the window, the empty couch and the dark sky outside.

I sat up, looking around.

No one was with me.

I looked to the IV in my arm, immediately carefully taking it out, something I had learned how to do with my parents.

I put a bandaid over it, moving to my feet.

As soon as I stood, I got a wave of nausea.

Ignore it.

I found my shoes, slipping them on and grabbing my phone from the bedside table.

I called Blake, hearing him groggily answer.

"Mila- how are you feeling-" "come get me please." I spoke to him.

"Okay, are you okay? They said you could come home?" I could hear him getting up and his keys as he was moving.

"I don't want to be here Blake, if you think I need to go to the hospital- I'll let you take me somewhere else, just please get me out of here" I spoke.

"Okay Mila, I'm on the way- I didn't bring Brennan, but we'll decide once we get home if you need to go to a different hospital, I just want you to be comfortable." He spoke.

"Okay, I'll be outside waiting" I spoke quietly.

"Okay sweetheart."

So I hung up, and made my way towards the front doors.

I felt the feeling of the drug, which I hated.

But I ignored it.

I came close to Ashton's office, seeing that his door was open and I heard a loud conversation

"We shouldn't have drugged her-" "what else was I supposed to do, Luke?" I heard Ashton yelling to Luke.

"When our patients go into panic attacks, we give them sedatives- it's the same for her-" "she's not a normal fucking patient, Ashton." Luke spoke firmly.

"We all made things worse drugging her." I heard him repeat.

I took a breath, almost running past Ashton's office.

I made it without anyone seeing me.

I made it outside and I sat on a bench, waiting on Blake.

As I shook from the cold and the drugs wearing away- I closed my eyes, remembering everything.

From when I was eight to now.

I suddenly felt a blanket fall over my shoulders, making me open my eyes.

I looked, seeing Michael.

Fuck.

I smiled lightly, watching him sit beside me.

"Does anyone know you're out here?" He asked.

"Blake does" I barely spoke.

"Blake is not your doctor." He pointed out, making me nod in response.

"How'd you get the IV out?" He asked.

"With my hands"

"Sassy" he attempted to make me smile, and he did manage to get the smallest.

"Can I see the spot to see if you blew the vein?" He asked slowly.

"Will you not tell anyone I'm out here if I do?" I shot to him.

"You're going to have to go inside either way" he spoke.

"Then no" I responded quietly.

He exhaled, leaning back against the bench.

"The first day I saw you, you were in the hospital because you had a bad reaction to the shots" he spoke slowly.

"You were so quiet- you didn't want to make eye contact, you kept to yourself so much." He spoke.

"But when Luke walked through the door- your face lit up, you immediately spoke to him and everything changed." He spoke.

"He didn't mean to hurt you, he never meant-" "I've held that secret for seventeen years." I spoke simply.

"And the first person I tell, he immediately goes and tells two people who only kept me because they don't want to be charged with abandonment." I spoke slowly.

"I'm done, Michael" I mumbled.

"Mila hear me ou-" he stopped at the sound of his pager.

"Code 415" he spoke, making me finally look to him.

"Missing patient." He finished.

"Just let me go, I'll send Blake in to sign discharge papers-" "it's three in the morning, no one is even working on discharge papers right now." He spoke, making my heart drop.

"Let's go inside and talk" he spoke, standing as I watched him hit his pager, I assume paging Ashton.

"Michael, I'm fine talking to you guys." I spoke firmly, feeling the tears in my eyes.

"But I do not want to talk to Luke, right now."

"Okay, if that's what you want, we'll make it work."

So I stood with him, letting him lead the way.

On the walk back to my room, Ashton met us, running.

"Mila- you cant leave like that." He exhaled as he immediately grabbed my arm, pulling the bandaid away.

"You could've hurt yourself doing that." He spoke firmly.

"Sorry" I spoke quietly.

"Come on, let's go to your room and talk." He spoke,

So I followed.

I watched as they called off the missing patient page, both of them turning to me.

"Gonna yell at me?" I asked slowly, praying they wouldn't.

"No" Ashton spoke quietly, motioning for me to sit, so I did.

"Luke is legally entitled to tell you guardians when he finds stuff out-" "how would they have known whether I told him anything or not?" I asked.

"He regrets it, Mila." Ashton spoke firmly to me.

"Luke wants to be apart of your life, Luke wants to help you-" "he thought that this was helping me?" My voice cracked.

"Now I have some man I barely know trying to give me the talk and make me confess everything to him, that's not what's best for me." I spoke as Blake entered the room, confused.

"Some man you barely know?"