Chapter 17

"Me? A gift?" Ariella asked, pointing to herself. She noticed then, that there was a golden mist surrounding her hand. "Oh."

Alice, Rosalie, Emmett and Edward laughed at her reaction to her gift. Esme looked at Carlisle. "You think we should test out the limits to her ability first?"

"Well, that would be best." Alice said, piping up after their laughter.

"Are you sure now is the time to do it?" Edward asked.

"He's got a point. Ariella, aren't you feeling thirsty?" Rosalie asked the newborn.

"Thirsty?" It was then that Ariella felt the slight burn of her throat. "A bit, I guess? But I don't like to drink blood, maybe uhm, blood mixed with juice?"

Her face looked so hopeful that Carlisle couldn't help but cave in. It was lucky that he had plenty of animal blood bags. Esme went to work and made juice for the newborn. Ariella eyed the blood bag hungrily. Carlisle diluted the blood onto the juice. Ariella immediately snatched the juice and drank it in one gulp.

"It tastes good!" Ariella marveled.

"Astonishing." Carlisle muttered.

Jasper looked at his soulmate. Ariella turned around and saw the honey-blonde vampire staring at her. She smirked at the man. "You know, if you're going to keep staring at me like that, you might just burn holes on my head."

The rest of the Cullen family looked at one another, then exited the living room to give the two soulmates some space. Jasper chuckled. "Can't help it. I'm staring at the definition of perfection."

If Ariella could still blush, her porcelain face would be filled with color. "Are you trying to flirt with me, Jasper Hale?"

"It's Whitlock." Jasper corrected Ariella. At the confused look on her face, Jasper explained. "My name is Jasper Whitlock."

"Oh!" Ariella said. The golden mist surrounded her hands and surrounded Jasper as well. Her crimson eyes turned to a shade of gold and she started to see glimpses of Jasper's life.

A young man was drafting up for the army. Then, the same young man was travelling down on a road and saw three women. He helped them, but turned into a vampire instead. Then, Ariella saw the young man ripping off heads of newborns and then him escaping the woman who turned him.

Ariella cut off the link that they had. The golden mist retreated, but the golden hue that was in Ariella's eyes did not change. Jasper was unknowing to what she saw, and Ariella plastered a smile on her face. "Well, Jasper Whitlock, are you trying to flirt with me?"

"Would you like me to, suga'?" Jasper rose an eyebrow, letting his southerner accent show through.

"Give me your best shot, dahling." Ariella replied, her British accent showing as well.

"Sorry but you owe me a drink, suga'." Jasper smiled.

"Oh?" Ariella rose an eyebrow at the line.

"I dropped mine when I saw you." Jasper said, gesturing to the broken pile of glass.

Ariella laughed at the cheesy line. "Hmm . . . You look familiar. Don't we have a class together? I could have sworn we have chemistry."

Jasper admired her beauty and the sound when she laughed. "You're so beautiful that you made me forget my pick up line."

Ariella quieted down and tucked a stray hand of hair to her ear. "Cheesy, Whitlock."

Jasper smiled at Ariella. "Only for you, suga'."

Ariella smiled at Jasper. "Are you Starbucks?"

"Why? Kind of odd, if you ask me, I can't drink coffee." Jasper asked.

"Because I like you a latte." Ariella winked.

"You do?" Jasper put in. "You like me a lot?"

"I feel a strange pull to you. Like I can't live without you." Ariella admitted, rubbing the back of her neck sheepishly. "It's odd, I know."

"Actually . . ." Jasper trailed off. "I feel the same."

"You do?" Ariella looked up, staring at Jasper's eyes.

Jasper nodded. Ariella smiled at him, then entwined their hands together. The two sat down on a nearby chair and just cuddled. That's how the Cullen family found the both of them.