Chapter 41

Professor Umbridge's smile vanished as suddenly as a lightbulb blowing. She sat back in her chair, turned a sheet on her clipboard, and began scribbling very fast indeed, her bulging eyes rolling from side to side. Professor McGonagall turned back to Harry, her thin nostrils flared, her eyes burning.

Ariella took this as a sign that she should step in. "Do you have any questions, Mr Potter?"

"Yes," said Harry. "What sort of character and aptitude tests do the Ministry do on you, if you get enough N.E.W.T.s?"

"Well, you'll need to demonstrate the ability to react well to pressure and so forth," said Professor McGonagall, "perseverance and dedication, because Auror training takes a further three years, not to mention very high skills in practical defense. It will mean a lot more study even after you've left school, so unless you're prepared to —"

"I think you'll also find," said Umbridge, her voice very cold now, "that the Ministry looks into the records of those applying to be Aurors. Their criminal records."

Ariella remained silent, her eyes burning with fury. "— unless you're prepared to take even more exams after Hogwarts, you should really look at another —"

"— which means that this boy has as much chance of becoming an Auror as Dumbledore has of ever returning to this school."

"A very good chance, then," said Professor McGonagall.

"Potter has a criminal record," said Umbridge loudly.

"Mr Potter has been cleared of all charges." Ariella said furiously.

Professor Umbridge stood up. She was so short that this did not make a great deal of difference, but her fussy, simpering demeanor had given place to a hard fury that made her broad, flabby face look oddly sinister. "Potter has no chance whatsoever of becoming an Auror!"

Ariella stood up angrily, as well as McGonagall. The older woman and the vampire looked much more intimidating than the short, tabby woman, especially with Ariella's eyes glinting murderously. McGonagall was quick to defend the boy. "Potter," she said in ringing tones, "I will assist you to become an Auror if it is the last thing I do! If I have to coach you nightly I will make sure you achieve the required results!"

"The Minister of Magic will never employ Harry Potter!" said Umbridge, her voice rising furiously.

"Are you a fool?!" Ariella said, her voice sounding infuriated. "The difference is, the current Minister of Magic will not employ Mr Potter! There might as well be a new Minister for Magic by the time comes Mr Potter will be an auror!"

"Aha!" shrieked Umbridge. "That's what you lot want, isn't it?! With McGonagall Senior Undersecretary to the Minister and Headmistress to boot!"

"You are raving -" Minerva said.

"You are absolutely delusional!" Ariella yelled.

"Mr Potter, this concludes our Career's Advice," McGonagall said. "Get out of here."

"Delusional?! I am only trying to protect the honor and the good name of the Ministry of Magic!" Umbridge said.

"Good name?!" Ariella repeated in disbelief. "I supposed part of the good name you're talking about is sending a couple of dementors to a young boy? Ha! You thought I wouldn't know what you did, Dolores? Nothing gets past me."

Umbridge huffed and stalked out of the room, fuming. Ariella turned to McGonagall, who also had a furious look on her face. "I deeply apologize for losing control, Minerva."

"It's alright." Minerva waved her hand. "I lost my temper as well. She got was coming to her."

---

[ btw, once OOTP is over, would you like me to write a sequel or just continue on with it here? 

or would you like me to finish OOTP and get back to Forks and start writing New Moon (find out how the Cullens left Bella), then once she hears Dumbledore is dead, she hurries back to Hogwarts? ]