Chapter II

Evelyn squirmed. In her almost four months in living as Jaime's husband, she had never found Tyrion frightening... at least not toward her. Tyrion could be quite intimidating when he wished but had always treated his sister in law with great care and kindness. However, as Evelyn sat on the edge of her bed, Tyrion standing before her with a deadpan look on his face, Shae standing behind him with a puzzled and slightly concerned face, Evelyn found herself uncomfortable.

"How long have you known?" Tyrion asked.

Evelyn looked over at Shae before replying, "Ever since Jaime left. I found out directly after his departure."
Tyrion's eyes widened in shock, "That was almost two months ago!"
The girl nodded, "I was already a few weeks by then."
A smile spread across the youngest Lannister's face to the point where his face almost split in two. Walking over to Evelyn, he grasped her hands tightly and smiled up at her.

"Congratulations dear sister," he said, his voice low but full of excitement. "I only wish they were in better circumstances."
Evelyn nodded, agreeing with his statement.

"Does anyone else know?" Tyrion inquired.

"No," Evelyn replied. "Only Shae. I don't trust the other handmaidens to not tell Cersei and I cannot tell Sansa. She would tell someone the moment she thought it would save someone...."
"But it would end in someone getting killed," Tyrion muttered.

Evelyn nodded solemnly, "If Cersei found out, the child wouldn't have a chance."
Suddenly, Tyrion's eyebrows furrowed in perplexity, "What do you mean? You do realize that my father is dying for a Lannister grandchild."
"I know that," Evelyn replied. "I do not doubt that Tywin would protect the child especially if it is a boy... but the child if it is a son, would stand as a threat Cersei's line."

Tyrion cocked his head to the side, showing his perplexity. Evelyn smiled and sighed.

"My child, if it is a son, is the heir to the Iron Throne. All of Robert's children are illegitimate, thus, my child would hold a claim to the throne, threatening Cersei's rule," Evelyne explained.

"So, you know about Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen?" Tyrion asked, stating it very cautiously in case the girl didn't.

Evelyn nodded and Tyrion bowed his head respectfully in apology.

"You do realize that you will not be able to hide it from Cersei for long," Tyrion pointed out. "You are very fit for a woman Evelyn but Jaime... let's just say his offspring have a very low chance of being small at birth. Even Joffrey was a large child when he was born."
"I know," the girl replied. "I've already added some weight, but no one has noticed yet... that is why I need to leave before I do."
Tyrion's head snapped up at this, but Shae was not the least bit surprised. She had guessed the girl would escape and Evelyn had confided in her about the plan.

"You're leaving?"
Evelyn nodded, "Without Jaime, I am not safe here and if I am not safe, my child isn't. Should anything happen to me, Jaime's child will die as well."

"You do realize that even if you never bore Jaime children, he would still love you without regret," Tyrion pointed out.

Silence enveloped the two. Tyrion and Evelyn often spoke of Jaime at length. They discovered that it offered consolation and comfort with his absence. Both had discovered new things about the knight from the other. Even Tyrion learnt some new things about his brother from Evelyn.

"I know," Evelyn whispered. "But I would never forgive myself if I failed to protect my child. My mother once taught me to never take a child's life for granted. Even if it is a child from a raping, or illegitimate, or a threat or whatever, never ever try to take life and death into your hands... for, that child may one day grow to do something good for the world."
Tyrion nodded, "I understand sister; but where would you go? Escaping doesn't exactly mean you will get escort and supplies to take you anywhere you wish."
Evelyn smiled at this statement before she looked over at Shae who nodded, "I will be traveling alone and in secret."
If Tyrion had been shocked at Evelyn's revelation of her plan to escape, he was even more shocked at this revelation, "Alone? You mean.... With no one else?"
Evelyn nodded, "I considered taking Sansa with me, but she isn't built for the wilderness. Besides that, she is safer here than I am for she is not pregnant with the heir of the Iron Throne and she is engaged to marry the king. She is much safer here than she would be with me."
"But alone Evelyn," Tyrion objected. "You do not know the wilderness."
"I grew up in the wilderness," Evelyn pointed out. "Besides, Zinzi and Lady will come with me. They aren't safe here."