Chapter VII

Jaime pushed back the tent curtain as he entered the tent that he shared with Evelyn. He had gone out to bid goodnight to Tyrion. There she was, laying on the bed with Lady and Zinzi curled up at her feet. Both wolves were sound asleep with their faces resting on the girl's feet.

Smiling, Jaime crossed the tent quietly and sat down on the side of the bed. He pulled off his shirt and boots before turning to slip under the furs. He sat there a moment just staring at the girl. Their relationship had improved the past week since the incident with Joffrey and Nymeria and honestly, he felt a little hope that he was winning the Stark girl over.

Leaning across the bed he brushed a strand of black hair out of her face and watched her face, admiring her peaceful face and how her long black lashes fluttered in her sleep. She looked so small and vulnerable lying there even with the wolves at her feet. She was so small that the bed swallowed her up and Jaime felt the deep desire to protect her with every vibe in his body. She had become precious to him. When he first met her, he had been smitten and infatuated with her beauty but during their stay in Winterfell and the first few days of their marriage he had grown attracted to her heart, soul and her deep desire to do good and help others.

Now that he stared at the petite girl covered in furs, her pale face slightly tinted pink from the days on the road, her black hair making a curtain across her shoulders, he realized that he was madly in love with her. Resisting the urge to snatch her to him and hold her tight, Jaime peeled the furs back and slipped underneath.

He was about to wrap her in a gentle hug like always when the girl let out a soft whimper in her sleep. Jaime's eyes flew open and he sat up slightly, propping himself on his elbow. The girl was shivering. The color had risen in her face and her teeth were chattering. Her arms were shaking in an attempt to keep warm, but her face was sweating.

Jaime reached over and pressed his hand to her forehead to find it burning. She had a fever!

Jaime quickly sat up and gently shook her shoulders. The girl opened her eyes weakly to find Jaime looking at her in fright.

"You have a fever," he whispered. "You're exerting yourself too much."
The girl shivered before she nuzzled her face into his arm nearby, clinging to it. "You're warm."
Jaime resisted the urge to react and instead slipped closer to her under the covers. He was thinking that offering her his body heat would help. However, he was shocked when the girl scooted closer till her cheek was pressed into his chest and she curled up close to him, keeping her hands between her chest and his to warm them and brought her legs to her chest.

Jaime could feel her cold hands touch his chest and her cold feet brush against his legs. Throwing aside all thoughts of being slow and cautious, he drew her flush against him and laid partially on her, one leg over hers so that his warm feet warmed hers, his arm draped over her waist and behind her back, holding her close to him while he kept her face snuggled against his neck while he pressed his face into her hair.

"It'll be alright," he whispered.

The girl was asleep in an instant, a soft smile on her face and she had stopped shivering. When Jaime woke the next morning, the girl was still there and now her arms were wrapped around his abdomen, her cheek against his chest and a content smile on his face.

When Jaime stirred, he hoped he hadn't roused her and quickly checked her forehead. The fever was gone! Thank goodness! He was just about to go back to sleep to let her rest when he felt the girl shift and hold him tighter.

"Thank you, Jaime," she whispered into his chest.

Jaime pursed his lips thoughtfully as he looked up at the three hanging women in the trees. Brienne's expression hadn't changed since he met her, so he didn't know if she was disturbed or just as surprised as he was.