Chapter XVI

Hey! This is part two of the flashback from the last chapter! This is also the end of the long flashback:) After that we'll return to Evelyn:).

Evelyn finally managed to return to the secluded peace of her tree which was set a furlong away from the camp. The sounds of the King's men were much less over there since they were on the other side of the Stark camp and honestly, in comparison to the king's men, the Stark party was rather quiet. The girl could peacefully read, listening to the sound of the stream nearby and the sound of nature, the wind and the birds around her.

She was just about to turn the page of the book when she heard a twig snap nearby. Jumping, her hand instinctively went to her belt where she had attached Golden Lord....or The Given. Since Jaime had given it to her two years prior, she always had it with her and of course her father hadn't cared that she returned two years prior with a sword even though it annoyed her mother.

"It's just me," the familiar voice said as Jaime appeared from behind the tree.

Evelyn's hand relaxed on the hilt of the sword as she sat up straighter against the tree. Jaime took a few steps closer before taking in the girl, sitting between the large roots of the tree with a book in one hand, her other resting on the hilt of the sword he had given her. He smirked.

"You are quite alert Lady Evelyn."

Evelyn removed her hand from the hilt to place it in her lap, "People say I am jumpy. And Evelyn is just fine. Lady is the title of my sister."
Jaime smiled as he walked closer, "That is just the other term for alert. People prefer to call others jumpy because they are jealous that they aren't as alert."
The girl eyed him curiously and Jaime found his mouth going dry at those intense golden eyes looking at him with interest. He nodded toward the spot on the other side of one of the giant roots and Evelyn nodded. Sinking down on the ground, Jaime made sure that the tree root was between them. When he had met Evelyn when she was just a child it had been perfectly appropriate for him to be in close contact with her, even allowing her to kiss his cheek. However, Evelyn was now a teenager and seen now as a lady in age. Jaime was not one to really follow propriety, but he knew her brothers or uncle would have a fit if he overstepped proper boundaries.

Evelyn did not seem to really care about his and didn't seem unnerved by it, so Jaime relaxed.

"what are you doing out here by yourself?" he asked.

Evelyn held up the book she was reading, "Escaping my sister and getting some peace and quiet. I cannot find it with Sansa any more than I can with my brothers."
Jaime chuckled, "I know the feeling. Sisters are supposed to be the quiet ones but they're just as loud."
"Tell me about it," Evelyn smiled, both of them relaxing into the comfortable conversation.

Jaime bent his head to get a look at the book she was reading, "Folk Tales?"
Evelyn nodded, "My little brothers do not like to be read to so I memorize the tales so I can tell them in person."

"What about making up your own?" Jaime asked.

"I haven't really had any adventures of my own," Evelyn admitted, shrugging. "So, I do not really know how to tell my own story."

Jaime smiled, "I am sure you will have a great adventure of your own one-day Lady Evelyn."

Evelyn smiled back at him, nodding in gratitude before her face turned earnest, "Ser Jaime... may I ask why you seemed so surprised when we.... Ran into each other earlier?"
Jaime turned to look at her to see the girl tilting her head quizzically at him and Jaime found it rather difficult to breathe. Gosh darn it she was cute! Even though she was at least ten years younger than him, he couldn't help but marvel at how innocent and bright she was. She reminded him of his little niece/daughter Myrcella. So pretty and innocent... yet so strong against the harsh reality of life. They both were too innocent and sweet to be living in a world such as this.