Chapter XII

Robb paced back and forth in front of the tent. If the men didn't know better, they would think that he was the expecting father. He had tried to sneak in a few times, but Talisa and Catelyn always caught him in the act and pushed him out, giving him another random thing to do to keep his mind off of Evelyn. The tent had been quiet for a while and Evelyn was making no noise.... There wasn't even the cry of a baby.

He was just beginning to get worried when he heard a soft, high pitched cry from inside the tent. He felt his stomach clench in both pain and joy. Joy because of the memory it brought back of when he and Evelyn stood with Jon, waiting for little Rickon to be born.... And the joy of Evelyn giving birth to a child.... His first ever niece or nephew. However, the clench of pain was almost greater for he realized that the one thing that Evelyn would want right now was Jaime. To let the man, see his child.... To be comforted by her husband that she had grown to love. Just as Robb loved a woman that he couldn't love, Evelyn loved a man that so many people hated. If only he had sent someone off to bring Jaime and Brienne back.

The flap of the tent opened, and Talisa peaked her head out. Robb's blue eyes widened, and Talisa smiled at his curiosity and impatience.

"Evelyn and the baby are fine. Do you want to meet your little nephew?"
Robb's eyes widened at the girl's words and he nodded his head vigorously. Talisa opened the flap and Robb slipped in. Catelyn backed away from where she was shadowing over the bed like a hawk. Evelyn was seated on the bed, propped up against the pillows. Her black hair was down and free of her braids, her forehead slightly damp from sweat and her face flushed from the exertion. Nestled safely in her arms was a small pink bundle wrapped up in blankets.

Evelyn turned her head to spy her brother at the entrance and she smiled at him, her eyes sparkling and her face practically glowing, "Robb, come meet him."
Robb cautiously walked over, not sure if he should intrude for he was just the brother and uncle, not the father and husband. However, Talisa gave him a push forward and he walked over, sitting down in the chair next to the bed.

Evelyn slowly turned in the bed, ignoring her mother's look to warn her to not move about. Gently she held out the child so Robb could see . Robb looked down to find himself staring down into a pair of bright sky-blue eyes shaded by long black lashes, rather long for a boy, round puffy cheeks and adorable button nose.

"What did you name him?" Robb asked, gently reaching his finger forward.

Evelyn smiled as the baby opened his fist and squeezed onto Robb's finger, "Calum James. James after Jaime.... And Calum.... It means dove."
Robb smiled and gently ran his finger over his nephew's head, feeling the soft golden fuzz, "He is that. A dove born of a Lion and a Wolf."
Evelyn smiled at her brother, bending down to plant a soft kiss on Calum's head, "Want to hold him?"
Robb's eyes widened but he nodded and watched in fascination as Evelyn gently handed the baby over to him. The boy felt so small in Robb's arms.... Like a tiny little wolf pup. The little boy's blue eyes were still wide open and looking at Robb with interest. Robb realized however that compared to how large his siblings were when they were born, Calum was a descent sized baby. That honestly explained why Evelyn had always looked like she was carrying twins when she was pregnant. That wretched Jaime Lannister! He was the one who gave Calum the big genes! However, Robb couldn't blame him. Calum was a handsome lad even with the golden hair and blue eyes... and the way Evelyn watched her son with her whole heart in her eyes, Robb knew that it was the best thing that could have happened to the girl next to marrying Jaime. She needed Calum.... she lost Jaime but now she has a part of him.... In her son.

"Now Missie," Talisa said, taking the child from Robb and placing Calum next to Evelyn on the bed, "You need to get rest! That was a long pregnancy for you and I am not saying that your decisions to go horseback riding even into your final months of pregnancy were a good idea. You and the baby rest, I'll come and bring you something to eat in a while after you have time to sleep."
Evelyn nodded, smiling gratefully at Talisa who quickly shooed Robb out of the tent, who grabbed his mother on their way out. Robb paused at the doorway, looking back at his sister, a smile on his face.

"I'm proud of you Eve," he said.

The girl turned to look at him, Calum nestled against her chest, "Thank you Robb."
Her brother smiled at her one more time before leaving the new mother and baby alone. Once they were gone, Evelyn sighed and leant back against the pillows, holding Calum close to her chest. The boy did not protest and nuzzled beneath her chin, closing his big blue eyes and drifting off to sleep.

Zinzi and Lady, who had been ordered to the corner of the tent, now snuck over to the bed and peered over the side, staring in awe at the little pink thing that their owner held.

Evelyn smiled at the two and petted them in turn between the ears, stroking their heads.

"Isn't he beautiful? He'll grow up to be tall like his father.... With his blue eyes and golden hair.... Oh gosh.... He might be cocky like his father too!"

She smiled as the two wolves carefully climbed onto the bed and laid down, Lady across Evelyn's feet and Zinzi next to her. Zinzi poked Calum's hand with her black nose and the boy shifted in his sleep, moving to place one hand lazily over Zinzi's nose. The wolf settled down, her head resting against the boy's stomach before drifting off to sleep.

Evelyn smiled as she watched her son sleep... but a pain in her heart kept her awake.

"I wish you were here Jaime," she whispered. "He looks so much like you.... I know how happy you would be to meet your son. It's better this way though.... It's safer for his sake and yours.... It's better if you do not know of your son's existence."