one ; a new term

one

On September 1st of 1993, Leila Andromeda McGonagall woke up like any other day. With faint music playing from the muggle stereo in the living room, she kicked her covers off, stumbled over her trunk as she walked to the restroom, and proceeded to stare at her reflection, contemplating her existence. 

The 13-year-old, as of one week ago, was due to attend Hogwarts for her third year today and she was not feeling it. On top of having to deal with her school mates and strict Professors, she now had to worry about her father, who had managed to escape Azkaban only three weeks ago. 

After a solid ten minutes of staring at herself and begrudgingly getting ready for the day, Leila was able to gather her belongings — including the damn trunk she had been tripping over for the past two weeks — and leave for King's Cross Station. It was a short car ride, and all she could think about as she stared out the window were the sweets she was going to by from the trolley lady. 

With her trunks and other belongings ready to go on the cart, she ran through the familiar brick wall in between stations 9 and 10, her mother following behind her closely.

"Oh Merlin I'm going to miss you so so much."

"Mum, you're embarrassing me," Leila whispered as she escaped her mother's hug. Her face was bright red as she looked around the platform anxiously. 

With an expression of pure fondness and pride, Rosie looked at her daughter, who was practically a carbon copy of her and her father. She was brilliant, kind-hearted, and even inherited her shyness. 

"Don't forget to write to me every week! And remember not to slip up about you know what," Rosie instructed, a firm look suddenly on her face. Leila only rolled her eyes at her paranoia; it was already her third year and no one knew that she was Sirius Black's daughter. It was quite annoying that there was no clearly given explanation as to why no one could know, other than the fact that he was an accused murderer, but she supposed that that was a good enough reason regardless.

"Remus should be somewhere on that train already, try go and find him... You don't have to sit with him! Just make sure he's ok -" Rosie rambled, but her young daughter, who was practically inching towards the train, was quick to interrupt her.

"Yes! Yes, I know we've gone over this many...many times. Write to you every week, don't forget you know what, check on Remus, I know it all," she recited to her mother. The older witch smiled nervously and gave her one last hug — sending her only child off to Hogwarts every year never got easier. 

"Alright, I know you must be very eager to go on and see your friends," she grinned, her eyes crinkling. "Go off! I won't keep you here any longer."

Leila returned her mother's smile and released the hug before exiting the corner and walking towards the Hogwarts Express. She stored her luggage and boarded the steaming, scarlet train, keen to find Remus her friends — two, tall redheads, if she was being specific. She walked through the long hall of the train, looking through the compartment windows to see where her uncle was. Finally, she found him towards the middle of the train, fast asleep in the corner of the compartment. With a tiny smile, she walked towards him and patted his shoulder gently before turning to walk out.

She was quickly stopped by Hermione Granger, who said that it was the only compartment left as she walked in with Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley.

"Oh! Leila!" Hermione greeted her with a smile. Leila blushed awkwardly; if there was one thing she did not get from her parents, it was their natural social abilities.