seventeen ; dance practice

As if it was planned perfectly, the day after the announcement of the ball, a large package arrived for Leila, and she knew exactly what it was.

"A dress!" Ginny exclaimed, feeling the lumpy packaging.

"Go on! Open it!" Lavender, who was sitting a few seats away, said with excitement, her body stretching towards them.

Leila looked around nervously; almost all the girls in the hall were watching, their eyes darting from the packaged dress to her. "Um, I think I'll open it in our dorm to, uh, keep it a surprise?"

Lavender nodded eagerly in agreement, adding, "Of course! They can't see what you're wearing!" Then, in one swift movement, she stood and grabbed Leila's hand, dragging her out of the Great Hall. Parvati, Ginny, and Hermione scrambled up to follow them, leaving Ron Weasley and Harry Potter alone, the former muttering, "Girls these days."

With Lavender's speedy pace, they reached their dormitory within a few minutes. The girls all looked on with excitement as Leila sat on her bed, hands moving to rip off the tape.

Everyone gasped as she opened the wrapping. It was a beautiful, long seafoam-blue chiffon dress with white lace detailing. White lace stars were sown on the chest and waist, and instead of sleeves, long strips of chiffon fabric ran down from the shoulders, giving it a cape-like illusion.

 White lace stars were sown on the chest and waist, and instead of sleeves, long strips of chiffon fabric ran down from the shoulders, giving it a cape-like illusion

"Merlin!" Ginny cried. "It's beautiful!"

In awe, Parvati whispered, "It's one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen."

Leila nodded in agreement; the dress was incredibly elegant and was easily the prettiest thing she would ever wear in the foreseeable future.

Lavender, who looked both jealous and fascinated, exclaimed, "Cedric is going to die when he sees you in this!"

"What?" Leila said, her head turning towards Lavender. "I don't know if he's going to ask me..."

Hermione scoffed. "Please, it's obvious he fancies you." Leila turned bright red, about to counter her remark when Ginny forced her up, demanding, "Try the dress on!"

With a sigh, she nodded and began to take off her casual clothes. With Ginny's assistance, she slipped on the luxurious dress; it fit her like a glove, perfectly suited around the top, and the flowing bottom landing right at the floor.

"You're going to be the best dressed at the ball!" squealed Lavender, watching as Leila did a playful spin, the glittering lace catching the light and giving an illusion as if the dress was sparkling.

Eventually, the fun ended as Hermione realized they were due to go to McGonagall's room for a dance lesson so they wouldn't "besmirch the name of Godric Gryffindor" by dancing poorly. Now in her regular uniform, Leila went to the classroom with the other girls. As she saw Fred and George, she made a beeline for them, hiding behind Fred so McGonagall wouldn't notice she wasn't on the girls' side.