twenty-one ; nightmares

☼

Leila Andromeda McGonagall was having a bad day. 

Every single noise, conversation, and snarky remark aggravated her so deeply that for one whole minute, in the middle of Charms, after another girl spat a nasty quip at her, she considered setting the blonde's desk on fire. She didn't, of course, but she still got her revenge as she jinxed the Ravenclaw to start laughing hilariously during Flitwick's lecture, earning her two nights of detention with Filch.

Unfortunately, the tiny victory was short-lived as Pansy Parkinson practically hurdled towards her to show her the next article Rita Skeeter had written about her (yes, the bug of a lady was still writing about her). After shoving the smug Slytherin away, Leila stomped away to the Gryffindor common room, quietly grumbling to herself.

She wondered what she had done to deserve such a dreadful day. First, she woke up at the ungodly hour of 4 AM from a rather terrible nightmare of Cedric dying—the second night in a row. Then, while calming herself down, she noticed that her necklace—the same one she had always kept around her neck since she could remember—was missing. After almost four hours of searching, effectively missing breakfast and the first twenty minutes of Herbology, she found it under Lavender's bed with no clue as to how it managed to get across the dorm.

Her hopes that the rest of the day would be better went unanswered as she trudged through her first lessons, her stack of assignments growing each hour. When lunch finally arrived, she was more than ready to pay a visit to Cedric, who she discovered was ill and on bed-rest, in his dorm. However, it seemed that two Hufflepuff fifth-years had other plans as they refused to let her into the common room, and found joy in throwing insults at the younger Gryffindor.

Then, the Charms incident and Pansy Parkinson happened. 

Long story short: Leila had an absolutely terrible day, leaving her so annoyed that even Fred and George's antics were not helping her feel better. 

The twins, who hated seeing her so upset, attempted at reenacting a scene from one of Leila's favorite muggle movies that she had shown them—Home Alone. Key word: attempt. The twins ended up arguing with Ron over who had the best American accent, and Leila ended up retreating to her dorm, opting to completely skip dinner. 

With nothing else to do, she decided to get a head start on her assignments, which did not take her long to finish. As she crossed the last 't' on her Charms essay, she hoped that the next day would be better, and that she wouldn't have another nightmare. 

--

Pitch black. 

"Hello?" Leila called out, her voice echoing and bouncing off the walls she couldn't see.

Shakily, she extended an arm out, attempting to feel for anything around her as she stepped forward. "Hello?" she repeated. "Is anyone there? Mum? Dad? Ron? Hermione? Harry?" she paused, and gulped nervously, "Anyone?"