Crying, sadness, you know, everything you need for a dead persons b-day

Isa POV

I wake up and open my eyes when I realize that I am in an unfamiliar setting. Whatever I am sleeping on is way too soft for it to be my bed at home. I look around, the memories from what I assume was yesterday... or maybe today flooding in and I groan, the moon shining down on the bandages which are wrapped neatly around my torso. Someone shifts to my right and I turn, looking over at Sokka who is sitting by me, looking out at the forest as if he were guarding something... me? No, that couldn't be, he was probably just protecting himself or looking out for a platypusbear.

"Hey" I say weakly, sitting up slightly, leaning against my arm. Sokka turns to face me, his eyes widening slightly when he realizes that I am trying to sit up and he makes his way towards me, helping me to lean against a tree.

"How are you feeling" he asks, looking down at the bandages and I shrug.

"Better" I hum, looking down and seeing that I am covered in bandages from head to toe, I laugh and put my arms up.

"I'm a mummy" I laugh and Sokka looks at me not impressed with my joke.

"You almost died"

"I didn't"

"You scared the crap out of us" he scolds and I roll my eyes

"You were the one who didn't want to help me cause I'm fire nation, which I'm not by the way" I remind him. He looks down in shame.

"I'm sorry, but the fire nation has taken a lot from me and —"

"They took my brother" I tell him, looking around the camp when I notice that Aang and Katara are not around, and I can't help but wonder where they are... I feel around for energy in the forest, getting a ping by the lake which I assume is them.

"I'm sorry, is he a prisoner or..."

"No, no they killed him. He went off to help fight them off in a far away town when he was 16. I was told he killed half of their army before they took him. He had killed the general so they burnt him to a crisp, I couldn't even bury him" I say while playing with the white bandages around my arms "and you know what they did with the rest of the people" I ask looking at Sokka in the eyes "they dressed them up in fire nation uniform and put them on the front lines, weaponless" Sokka looks at me with fear in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know" he says and I look back down at my burnt fingers.

"My brother, he taught me to be strong and brave, to always get up when I have been knocked down... and yet I cant seem to stand up to my father" I sigh and shake my head.

"It's not your fault" Sokka says gently and I look into his eyes "he's family, I understand why you stayed. I mean Spirits! I followed my sister halfway across the world" he points to Katara and I smile.

"Who did you lose if you don't mind me asking?" I ask Sokka, wanting to understand why his hatred for the fire nation was so great... My father may be fire nation, but my mother is not, and I choose to stay neutral, my hate for the fire nation burns stronger than any tie that I have to the fire nation.

"My mother was taken during a fire nation raid" he says sadly.

"I am sorry for your loss" I say when Aang and Katara make their way back to the camping ground.

"You shouldn't be sitting!" Katara says rushing over to me. I smile and lie back down to make her happy.

"I'm fine" I say but she seems to ignore me as she scolds Sokka for letting me sit up. I chuckle and glance at Aang.

"My friends are depending on you, you know" I tell him, starting to feel drowsy. Sokka and Katara bicker, not paying attention to what I was saying but Aang's attention is on me.

"What do you mean?" He asks, walking closer

"I know you are the avatar, I am of air bender descent, my grandmother was one" I tell him "she had the same tattoos as you" Aang looks at me with a confused face.

"Air benders don't usually leave the temples" Aang tilts his head, a goofy smile on his face

"My grandmother fell in love with an earth bender, she left the temple, grew out her hair, and came to live here" I tell him "but she is dead and so are my friends, and they are looking down on us right now from the spirit world waiting for you to end this war" I tell him and he frowns. I know the fate of Dan and his friends. The town they had gone to save burnt to the ground and they never came back. They are dead.

"I am sorry about your friends"

"I am sorry about your people" I say and he nods.

"Do you want to join us on our journey?" Aang asks and I raise my eyebrows.

"Where are you going?" I ask and he sits down next to me, crossing his legs.

"We're going to go to the Northern water tribe, than once I master water we'll make our way to find myself an earth bending teacher and then"

"A fire bending one" I nod

"Are you...?" Aang asks hopeful, his eyes twinkling

"No I am sorry, I am skilled in other ways of fighting but I can not teach you fire bending" I tell him with regret and I notice a slight frown on his kind face before he smiles

"No worries! I'll just look for a different one" he smiles and goes off to break apart Katara and Sokka, who's fighting was about to get physical. I get up while everyone is busy and look around. We are deep in the forest and near a lake. I look at the bag that is on the floor and notice a water bending scroll. I open it and recognize it to be the one that my pirate friends used to own.

"Hey guys! Did you buy this from the pirates?" I ask with a grin. They turn to look at me with guilty faces and my face drops. "You... you stole it! They'll come for you!" I say in an anxious voice, even my friendship with the captain wouldn't save them, pirates are proud and they wouldn't mind killing kids for stealing.

"Sorry" Katara says and I shake my head, shrugging slightly when she realizes that I'm up and glares at me.

"I'm fine Katara relax, you should be more worried about the pirates" I tell her and she shakes her head.

"They won't find us here" she says with confidence and I sigh.

"Maybe" I shrug and my eyes find my bag. I walk to it slowly and drop to my knees. I pick up my bow and arrow and my fingers run over the marking on the inside of the bow.

'Lin'

I sigh and count my arrows. 20..... there should be 25. I look in my bag and find them placing them in the place they belong, searching for the candle I keep in there, along with the painting of my brother. If I'm right it's his birthday today... it would be a shame if I didnt even light a candle for him.

"What are you doing?" Sokka asks and I turn to face him.

"It's my brother's birthday today" I tell him and he frowns.

"Oh"

"I'm celebrating it" I smile and grab the candle along with the painting and matches. I look around and find an apple, taking that too.

"What is she doing?" Katara asks as she watches me place the painting against a tree.

"It's her brother's birthday" Sokka mutters to Katara and she still looks confused "he's dead" Sokka says and Katara gasps.

I ignore their banter and light the candle placing the apple under the painting. I take the arrow he carved and place it leaning on the tree. I bow my head, closing my eyes. If you're listening you dumb ass, happy brithday, I love you... , I say a little prayer in my head before sitting up, blowing out the candle.

"Ok! I'm done, now I'd you guys could put back everything please I am in an unspeakable amount of pain" I say smiling. They frown and place everything in my bag.

"We'll leave first thing tomorrow" Sokka says and I nod "will you come?"

"Of course" I say smiling "anything to help the avatar" I wink at Aang and lie down "I think I need rest now" I mumble and Katara nods, crossing her arms.

"Wake me up if there's trouble" I mumble and fall back asleep.