The past is a though teacher

Isa POV

We had left Ember Island after two days of staying there. Zuko and I had... well we've become closer. He decided to make it official so now we're boyfriend and girlfriend. Which... well I love obviously. Our relationship hasn't changed at all, except now we kiss and say 'I love you' to each other all the time.

We had gotten back to the room after a walk, Zuko decided to sleep, and I joined him, but I guess he had a change of plans when he got up in the middle of the night, putting on a robe and walking out of the room. I frown, grabbing a shawl and fallowing him silently through the hallways. Yingjie, which was talking with a maid around the corner didn't notice and I crept past him. Zuko exits the palace and walks towards the royal prison. My eyes widen as he walks in and I realize that he's taken my advice and gone to visit Iroh. I'll let him talk to him alone, I think sitting behind a rock and waiting for him to come out, maybe then I'll go talk to Iroh too. I tilt my head after hearing Zuko come out, walking away.

I stand up and climb the side of the prison, jumping through a window and feeling where Iroh is. Second door to the left, second floor. I walk towards Iroh, opening the door to his cell and looking at him through the cell bars.

"Iroh" I breath and he turns to face me with a surprised face.

"Isa?" He asks and I nod, sitting across from him "what are you doing here?" He asks with nerves in his voice, as if he's worried someone will catch me.

"Zuko woke me up when he got out of bed and I fallowed him here" I explain and Iroh rises and eyebrow, I blush realizing what I've just implied but move on "is something wrong?"

"No" he shakes his head "he's just finding his way"

"Finding his way" I grumble under my breath, sitting more comfortably "he's been doing that for the past 3 years" I complain and Iroh chuckles, sitting in front of me.

"Yes, he's rather confused" Iroh agrees

"I love him" I confess "but it's hard... he's not... well I know I'm making him happy but he's confused and sad and angry. He doesn't like being here but he doesn't realize it, and he just" I sigh and Iroh smiles softly.

"He's troubled" Iroh says and I nod.

"I told him to talk to you, I hope that helped?" I ask and he shrugs

"That's all up to him" He says and I feel a guard walking down the hallway. I narrow my eyes and place my hand down on the floor.

"I think my time is up" I frown and Iroh nods "thank you so much, and I'm sorry youre here, I'll ask a friend to make you more comfortable ok?" I tell him while using the shawl to cover my face and shoulders. Iroh nods and I wait for the guard to check another cell before creeping out of Irohs, shutting the door silently and jumping out of the window, landing on a ramp. I scale down the building, running away from the prison and back to the palace.

I stop at the gardens, sitting down on the grass in front of the pond and looking up at the moon. I haven't meditated in forever, I think placing my hands down on the floor. I feel the ripple in the grass as the wind blows, the water in the pond, it's temperature rising and falling. The light the moon shines on me, the rustle of the leaves on the tree. With a sigh I open my eyes, getting up and walking to my bedroom.

I get to my bedroom, taking off the shawl and placing it around my shoulders, making it look like I'd just gone for a midnight walk.

"Isa?" Yingjie asks and I smile, turning to face him

"Hello Yingjie" I wave and he raises an eyebrow "I was just out on a stroll, nightmares you know" I shrug and he nods.

"Right, well you should go back to your room, I don't want you wandering the Palace alone at night" he advises and I nod.

"I was just wondering if you could do me a tiny favor" I ask and he looks at me with confusion

"I'm not killing-" he starts

"No" I chuckle "I have a friend in prison and I was wondering if you could him some better treatment" I ask "I know you're friends with all the guards and maids"

"I'll try" he sighs "what's his name?"

"Iroh" I say and he frowns.

"General Iroh? The guy who sieged Ba Sing Se?" He asks and I nod.

"He's helped me a lot" I mumble "and it would mean a lot to me"

"Fine" he sighs "but only for you" he says and I laugh.

"Thank you" I put my hands together "I am going to sleep now" I open the door and Yingjie nods. I walk into the room, noticing how Zuko is sitting up in bed, his face in his hands.

"Zuko?" I ask and he doesn't respond. I look at him worried and I notice that he is clutching something in his hand. I place my hand on his shoulder and he drops a crown, looking up at me with tears in his eyes.

"I don't know what to do" he confesses and my eyes widen. I kneel in front of him, taking his hands in mine, not minding the golden hair piece which is laying at my feet.

"Hey, hey" I say gently "Zuko what's wrong" I ask my heart beating fast. What's wrong. What's doesn't he know? What did Iroh tell him?

"I-" he chokes "I don't know" his tears trail down his face and I use one hand to wipe his cheeks, the other still holding his hands.

"It's ok Zuko, just breath" I try "or maybe you want to cry it all out? That's ok too" I suggest and he shakes his head, pressing his face against my hand.

"I'm not happy here" he sighs closing his eyes and I frown "I'm not making the right decisions" he confesses and I shake my head.

"Zuko it's ok" I smile softly and he looks down at me "What happened?" I ask and he frowns

"My great grandfather is Avatar Ruko" Zuko says and my eyes widen.

"Wait... So Aang is your great grandfather?" I ask and Zuko chuckles, tears still flowing.

"I didn't think about it like that" he mumbles and I smile, pushing his long hair behind his ear.

"Zuko I don't understand why that matters" I tilt my head and he sniffles.

"Iroh says that I'm torn, my great grandfather Sozin led the attack on the rest of the world while my other great grandfather Roku tried to stop him" Zuko rants and I nod, finally understanding why I've been feeling such a split between Zukos soul "Sozin left Ruko to die and then killed all of the air benders, trying to end the avatar line" my eyes widen. This is some messed up shit "Iroh says I'm the only one who can make up for my family's sins and make the world right, but I don't know how" he starts crying again and I frown.

"Hey, Hey Zuko" I try to get through to him "don't cry it's ok, I'll help you" I smile placing both of my hands on his cheeks, looking up at him "we can make the right decisions together"

"Alright" Zuko smiles "together"

——————————————————
Awww aren't they cute?
I think they are!
Any ways have a wonderful day!! 🌻🌻🌻