(3)

"But over the years I've learned to understand that I don't really give a damn what nobody say."
-Lyfe Jennings, Cry

GENE AKA GENIESE
(In MM)

"So have you gotten you a man yet or are you still with that low down Phonzo?"

I rolled my eyes and continued to file Chante' nails in front of me. Chante' was known to be all up in people's business and even spread their business. So I wasn't even suprised that she knew some of my business, even though she didn't have the story right. At all.

"That's none of your business, Chante''."

I spoke softly to her as I then picked her other hand up and filed them. she then looked up at me with her big brown eyes and snatched her hand away.

Chante'' was darkskinned and often reminded me of Chilli from TLC, but with a completely different attitude. Shante had the thick curly hair, the big brown eyes, and the very small figure with a nice swag to go along with it.

What she didn't understand was that Phonzo was not the cause of me wanting or even trying to get a new man or even the fact that he was low down caries he wasn't at all, matter of fact.

"So what your trying to say is that you don't trust me?"

She asked as I pulled out the bright yellow nail polish that she wanted me to put on them. Her nails were medium length and I was going to receive my money afterwards. Thank Jesus, because I wanted her out of my chair.

Sometimes I have to remember that I'm doing this for my daughter, Charity. Charity was a whopping five and was the most productive little girl that you would ever meet. She had brown sandy hair that was kinky curls, thanks to her mothers genes and a mocha skin color and one chipped tooth in her big smile.

"I thought we were friends, guh, but I guess you just a fake ass bitch. You know what remove your dirty hands off of me! That's it. I don't need this, especially from you, that is why your baby daddy is in Ja----

"I'm sorry, but I don't need that in my establishment. If you don't want me to do your nails that's gone, but please don't speak business of mine that you know nothing about honey," I spoke and rode from my seat as she looked at me with a baffled expression.

I went back to Atlanta after graduating instead of going back to Florida with my family. I mean why would I? I'm grown, actually twenty five right about now and I need to live my own life, even if I was pregnant on the day of my graduation.

Chante' stepped up from the chair as I crossed my arms while all the customers and my workers stared at us.

"...But I need you to give me half of what belongs to me out of that forty since I did do half of your nails, Chante'."

She rolled her eyes and threw the twenty dollars down at the ground with a smirk. I smiled, and bended down to get my money.

"Thank you for your service please come again," I spoke with a evident smile and she rolled her eyes, dropped her smirk, and left out of my nail shop. I rolled my eyes.

The things I put up with for money.

******

"Was she good today?"
I asked Alicia as I rubbed Charity's hair in my hands.

"She was awesome. My brother should be here in a couple of minutes," my babysitter, Alicia spoke.

Alicia was about sixteen years old and had a great personality. I had met her when she came to get her nails done at my nail shop and ever since she's been babysitting for me.

Alicia was a small lightskinned girl that aspired to be a actor, always told me. She was beautiful with her long brown hair and small curves.

"That's fine. I'm going to go upstairs right quick and change."

I walked out of my living room and upstairs so I could go to my bedroom. I lived in a spacious condo with two bedroom, one bath, decorated with pink and green.

I started to strip out of the grey long sleeve shirt and tight jeans, throwing on a big shirt that belonged to Phonzo that went down to my knees. I immediately put my hair up into a high ponytail next making my mermaid colored hair fall into a ponytail that reached my mid back. And afterwards, I put the shirt to my nose and sniffed it, smiling from his sense.

"You gone stop stealing my shit from me Gene," Phonzo said and then leaned forward to peck Geniese's lips.

They were standing at her front door and he was swinging by to bring her something to eat, before he had to go back to work when he witnessed her in his baby blue polo.

Geneiese rolled her eyes and backed away from the kiss, folding her arms.

"What I told you about calling me Gene?"

She asked, she hated that nickname with a passion.

"Gene, Gene, Gene, what the fuck you gone do about it?" He asked pecking her lips with each gene that came out of his mouth until he actually tongue kissed her with his hand on top of her stomach.

"Hey, Geniese, your phone is ringing downstairs," I heard and opened my eyes unleashing the shirt from my hands. I looked away from the mirror infront of me.

"Alright, here I come."

I walked down the stairs in a hurry hearing my phone ring automatically. I went fishing in my purse, until I finally had the pink customized case in my hands with my phone attached.

"You have a collect call from Phonzo Chase Benjamin. Would you like to accept the call?"

"Yes!"

I never would've thought I would've reached the point in my life were I had to have a recorded conversation with my baby's father, but not only my baby's father, my lover. Just because of one simple mistake in his past..