Chapter 1: Elytra Issues

Grian yawned as he climbed out of bed. As always, the night passed in what felt like a few seconds but was really hours. He didn't bother equipping his armour or Elytra, since the first half of the day was booked with meetings and appointments with other Hermits, as well as the fact he had to check his store in the Shopping District.

Grian quickly checked his inventory and spent a good twenty minutes trying to find that one shulker box of golden carrots (he'd promised it to Iskall and Mumbo after losing a bet at the concorp golf - long story) in his storage mess. He really needed a system, but he knew he'd never get around to doing it.

He finally hopped through his nether portal and headed over to Impulse's base to help with an automatic potato farm (surprise! grian was supplying the initial potatoes) before a couple meetings with other hermits about minigames, build-offs, and other things. Finally, around noon, he headed to Sahara for the final meeting of the day.

__________________________

"Hey guys! Glad you all could make it!" Grian glanced pointedly at Mumbo, who'd actually showed up for once. "Anyways, I have some very important news!"

"You're not going to drop us into the infinity room again, are you?" Iskall joked.

Grian laughed. "No, that was a one time thing. As I was saying, I've got news! Joe's willing to advertise for us!"

"Really?" Mumbo asked.

"Yeah! Isn't that perfect? He is the poet of the server, after all." Grain tapped his fingers on the desk excitedly, just lightly enough that the block wouldn't break.

"That's great! Maybe we'll get more Sahara Now memberships." Iskall commented.

"Also, here's the Golden Carrots I promised." Grian placed the shulker box on the table. Iskall and Mumbo split the carrots, Iskall talking the Shulker box and Mumbo an extra stack of the vegetable.

"Well, with that, I believe the meeting is adjourned?" Mumbo asked.

Grian nodded. "Well, I'll see you guys tomorrow, I have work to do, I need to check on- I mean, Poultry man needs to check on Sally, so I should remind him."

"Yeah sure." Iskall rolled his eyes as Mumbo broke the window for the third time that week. They really needed to get rid of that window permanently so they didn't have to break it every time they wanted to leave.

Grian equipped his Elytra, and instantly noticed something was off as he flew out. It was so off, that Grian had to land on top of the Sahara Now building to check it out. Iskall had already flown the other direction, but Mumbo noticed and landed next to him. "You okay?"

"No, my Elytra doesn't fit for some reason."

"Maybe it's the straps?"

Grian nodded, noticing that the Elytra was at half durability. "Yeah that's probably it. I can get some EXP from the Nether to repair it, I need to restock my shop anyways."

"Alright, see you tomorrow." Mumbo nodded to Grian and handed him a couple ender pearls. "Just in case you get in a bad situation in the nether and your Elytra still doesn't work." He took off, rather clumsily but thats Mumbo for you, and glided away.

Grian equipped his armour and jumped off the building, eating a couple potatoes to regain health as he sprinted over to the Nether portal and hopped through, exiting the Nether hub and climbing up onto one of the many wide ledges, spotting a nine-vein of Nether quartz. He took a deep breath and readied himself for the grind ahead.

_____________________

Grian dropped off the quartz at his shop before slipping his Elytra back on and taking off with some rockets. To his dismay, the elytra stubbornly didn't work.

He landed again and took the Elytra off and gave it a long stare. It was in perfect condition, nothing was wrong with the-

BAM

"Holy-" Grian shrieked, falling on his side. A creeper now? Really? He'd lost a couple hearts to that. Now that he noticed, the sun was beginning to set. He sighed and took out a boat, making his way to the shore, praying he'd make it back to his base before the drowneds got to him.

A few minutes of paddling and he was at the big outer ring. He put his boat back in his inventory and ran inside, crashing on his bed. The quartz grind had taken much longer since he couldn't use his elytra. He also used up all his ender pearls after accidentally hitting a pigmen, breaking the second rule of minecraft. He lied there, ready for the night to pass.

Maybe tomorrow his Elytra would work.