Chapter 43

To say Grian was nervous would be an understatement. He was terrified.

But as he stepped out of the portal with his eyes closed, he knew that if there was any time to bottle up his feelings, it would be now. Xisuma's safety was the main priority.

Grian's breath hitched as he stepped out of the portal and onto the ground. From his first impression, it felt soft and even, with some give when he stomped his foot.

He heard the whir of the portal behind hi as the rest of the team stepped out.

He heard someone click away at a communicator - probably False trying to message Xisuma - and then a hand settled on his shoulder.

"I think we're here." Mumbo's warm voice spoke. "You okay?"

"Y-yeah, just... I need a moment to prepare myself. I haven't been here in years, and for good reason." Grian answered, taking a few shaky breaths.

Finally, Grian opened his eyes, and wow did a lot of stuff flood back.

"What is this place?" Ren wondered out loud.

Grian had to take a second to compose himself. "We're in Sam's apartment."

____________________________

Doc watched as the team disappeared through the portal.

"Do... Do you think they'll succeed? That they'll all come back safely?" He asked, hiding the worry in his voice as best as he could.

Joe answered calmly, his accent soothing, in a way. "I don't think they'll succeed. I hope they'll succeed."

Doc's eyes flickered back to the portal. "I stopped hoping a long time ago. I've learned that whatever happens happens, and if you have no control over it, there's no use."

"So? That's not stopping you from wanting them all back safely." Joe inquired, fixing his glasses.

Doc sighed. "You do have a point, I admit. but there's nothing much we can do now than wait."

"You're not much of an optimist, are you?" Joe raised an eyebrow.

"Comes with the territory." Doc grumbled. "Being a redstone engineer, a scientist, a doctor, and on top of that, a manager of a facility that studies alien life and supernatural phenomena, you learn to expect the worst. And not to mention, being half-creeper and half-robot."

Joe pursed his lips. "That's.... a lot of responsibility. You getting enough breaks?"

Doc hesitated. "Well... not really."

"Maybe next season, take some time off between builds. The only real break you've gotten was was the Civil War, and I wouldn't call that a break, per se." Joe suggested.

Doc ran a hand through his hair. "I guess you're right, Mr. Therapist Man. I'll make that a point next season."

Joe chuckled. "Well, we better get going. No point waiting around for their return, rescue missions don't usually take less than five minutes."

"See you around, I guess." Doc said, equipping his elytra.

Joe pulled out a stack of ender pearls and gave Doc a smile. "See you around."

____________________________

"Why would be here?" Ren questioned, looking puzzled. "Why here of all places?"

"It's dropped us near my last spawnpoint here." Grian explained quickly.

Mumbo glanced around. It was a rather small apartment, with a couple beds and a few chests, as well as two doors. One was closed, probably led out to the hall, and the other was half-open, leading to a basement in which Mumbo could make out another bed.

Grian wordlessly opened a couple chests, pulling out a few items, including a wad of cash.

"Why the money?" Scar asked, frowning.

Grian neatly bundled it up. "For bus tickets. Our destination is a while away. Big city, y'know."

"Oh."

After a couple more minutes of searching, Grian headed down into the basement and returned with a first-aid kit, and handed it to Stress. "Here. There's some bandages and medicine inside, in case we run out of healing potions."

Stress peeked inside. "Um, love? This is the kind of first-aid kit professionals have, rather than a standard home kit. Everything okay, hun?"

Grian hesitated. "I have it for reasons I'd rather not discuss. We need to get going anyways."

"Agreed." Mumbo said, nodding towards the closed door. "Lead the way Gri."

______________________________

Again, it's sorta short (I'm trying to go to bed early since my B-day is tomorrow, the 19th) but I hope you enjoy it!

Also, I sprinkled in some Doc and Joe Bonding ASMR and I'm kinda scared bc I sorta ship them whoops-

...I'm going to bed, and if it's past 11 pm for anyone else, you should too XD