Chapter 7: Infiltration is Hard

"Hey Joe?" Iskall said, stopping in his tracks. "I found something."

Joe walked over to Iskall, who was just a couple aisles over. There were a few books strewn around the floor, and Iskall was holding two things in his hands. One was a diamond chestplate with low durability, and the other was a diamond pick with an inscription on the handle.

Carved into the wood were two words: Fax Machine

"It's his pick alright." Joe whispered.

"And look up there!" Iskall pointed out a book on the highest shelf. It was very clearly labeled "Fae Magic and Curses; A Guide."

"That must be what he was looking for, but he must've ran into trouble." Iskall said quietly, placing Grian's things into his inventory.

"You mean trouble like eleven Evokers and eight Vindicators?" Joe said quickly, staring at something behind Iskall.

With those words, Iskall knew exactly what was behind him. Very quietly, he said, "Joe, I'm gonna hold them off. You set of a firework, and then run."

Joe nodded, taking a rocket out f his inventory. Iskall gave a small nod, and then turned on his heel, drawing his sword. Joe turned the other way and ran. He made his way into the wool room and out the hole, lighting a rocket and running until he was far enough from the mansion that the illagers wouldn't give chase. He spotted Cleo and Mumbo breaking a hole in the roof of the mansion and rocketing out, using the fireworks to propel themselves.

Not long after, Iskall also came rocketing out of the mansion, a book under his arm. He landed in front of Joe, along with the other two players.

Cleo was missing her boots and Mumbo had no helmet. Both looked like a mess. Iskall was in similar condition. The four quickly made their way back to the mini-base.

"So, Mumbo and I found nothing, and we actually got caught shortly before your firework went off." Cleo said before eating a couple potatoes to regain her health. "You guys?"

Joe glanced at Iskall. "We found a few things."

Iskall presented the chestplate, pickaxe, and the book. "I think Grian was going for the book so I snatched it before I ran. We also found his pick and chestplate."

"So he's in there. He must've gotten caught." Mumbo said what they all were thinking. "We need to get him out of there."

________________________________________________

The cot in his cell was now the color red.

Grian pulled his knees up to his chest, trying to ignore the horrible pain in his back. He'd heard a commotion earlier, shortly after the illusioner shoved him back in his cell. It was followed by a bit of shouting and a bunch of fireworks.

He wanted to believe it wasn't a hallucination, but after what the illusioner had done, he couldn't be sure any longer.

Grian felt his eyes getting droopy. That meant the sun was setting. He'd spent a full day in the wretched mansion, and at this point, he'd accepted his fate. He glanced down at his hands, which were dotted with blue spots. He could see the particle effects faintly swirling around his fingers, stubbornly persistent. It was strangely soothing, however, the way they floated up into nothingness, escaping the cage easily unlike their host.

He quietly watched the effects until sleep whisked him away once more.

_______________________________________________

"So we can beat the Wither and the Ender Dragon, no problem, but we can't get two steps into this Mansion without almost dying?!" Iskall paced, his sword in his off-hand. "We've tried this, how many times now?"

"Forty three." Joe said calmly. "And we've been at this for almost a week."

"Yes! That many times! There's gotta be a way! Oh why didn't I borrow False's sword?" Iskall sighed, sitting down on one of the beds.

Cleo was sitting in a corner, thinking to herself. Mumbo had a book and quill out, and was brainstorming ideas.

"If only we had a way to outrun the illagers or something." Iskall rubbed his eyes. The small group had been embarrassingly failing at even infiltrating the mansion. They were running out of ideas.

It was quiet for a while, until Joe spoke. It was four words, quick, soft, and simple.

"What would Grian do?"