Chapter 6: Caught and Captured

Why didn't he use his wings?

Of course, when Grian finally spotted the book he was looking for, he was too short to grab it. So, being completely logical, he took out his pickaxe and began to hack away at the floor for blocks to pillar up to the shelf.

He realized way too late that the pickaxe was noisy. In seconds, he was surrounded by Vindicators and Evokers. And that wasn't the freakiest part.

In a blue robe, standing directly behind him, was an Illusioner. He felt a chill going up his back, and dropped his pickaxe. Illusioners didn't spawn naturally. These illagers must be doing something far darker than he'd read about.

Grian fumbled at his chestplate, ripping it off, and took flight. He forgot the Illusioner had a bow. In moments, he was running, three arrows in his wings, preventing him from flying any more. 

He also forgot about the Illusioner's magic. As he was running, he felt a shock run up his spine, cold ice running through his veins as the particle effects swirled around him. Moments later, he was blind. He struggled to his feet, forgetting what direction he was looking in.

An arrow to the backside got him running again. The illagers were herding him somewhere, and he had no choice in the matter. He heard some growls from mobs, probably outside the mansion. That meant the sun must have set.

His thoughts were interrupted by a sudden jab to his side, causing him to fall over onto something soft.

He immediately realized what he was laying on, and knew exactly where he was in the mansion. He only had a few moments to panic before sleep swept him away unwillingly.

_____________________________________

All four hermits woke at the same time.

Mumbo was the first to speak. "The Mansion should be East from here. Anyone bring a compass?"

"Grian did, he left it in his chest." Joe quickly reached in and retrieved the compact item.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's find him!" Iskall said, tossing some golden carrots between his hands.

Cleo nodded. "East you say?" She asked Mumbo. He nodded, and Cleo too the compass from Joe and pointed in the right direction. "I guess we're off."

______________________________________

No no no no no no no. This is not happening.

Grian panicked, covering his eyes, praying that when he opened them, he'd be back in his mini base in the forest. When he did open his eyes, he only panicked more.

He was in a two by two cage made of iron bars. There was a bed in the cell and nothing else. Even the door was iron.

He jumped to his feet and began pounding at the bars in desperation. His hands burned and Grian immediately felt his heath going down. A few moments later, he was lying on the bed again. His hands were healed, but the iron bars had no dent in them.

Grian bit his lip and tried to break the bed, but to no avail. He noticed the particle effects swirling around his hands, the weakness and unbreaking magically there, even after he died. Probably an Evoker's work. 

He flopped down onto the bed and ran his fingers through his hair. Sighing, Grian stared at the ceiling. At least he wasn't in a Hardcore world. He'd heard tales of those worlds, cursed to have no respawns. Then there was the Peaceful world, with no hostile mobs. And of course, there was a few select worlds that were blessed with god-like powers. Those lived in a creative world.

Grian was fine with being in a survival world. It was fun, and added a lot more of a thrill to pranking. But being stuck in a two by two cell that he couldn't escape was horrid. He just wanted to go home.

But he was stuck. He had no pickaxe, no sword, no nothing. The other Hermits had no clue where he was, and he had no idea what would become of him. He knew that illagers did dark experiments, ones that got them kicked out of villages in the first place. Were they going to do experiments on him?

Grian felt stupid for running away. He should've taken someone with him. He should've at least told someone where he was going!

Grian glanced at his wings. They'd healed overnight, but they couldn't get him out of his cell. He could barely stand up in the cell, the ceiling only a few inches above his mop of curly hair.

Grian covered his face with his hands again, regretting a lot of things.

____________________________________

"Here!" Cleo called out. "Found it!"

The other three hermits caught up with her. In front of them, the Woodland Mansion stood tall.

"Guys..." Iskall had crept around back. "Check this out."

Around back, there was a hole in the wall. Mumbo poked his head in, and looked around. "It's one of the blue wool rooms." He whispered.

"Aren't those close to the libraries?" Joe asked quietly.

Mumbo nodded. 

"Hopefully Grian's alright." Joe whispered in response.

Iskall climbed into the building. "I say buddy system? We can cover more ground and it's safer."

Cleo nodded. "Mumbo, you're with me." She climbed into the room, Joe just behind her.

"Alright, I and Joe can start with that library. You two wanna try upstairs?" Iskall whispered.

Cleo nodded. "Whichever team finds Grian, once you're out of the mansion with him, send up a firework. If you get caught, do the same."

Joe nodded. "Good plan. Let's do this."