Chapter 9: Lost...

The illusioner was escorting him back to his cell when it happened. He heard a strange series of noises outside, and a few seconds later, a couple Evokers ran to the illusioner, mumbling something in their language.

The illusioner nodded in Grian's direction and one of the Evoker sent out a couple vex, which quickly sent Grian back to his spawn point in the tiny cell. It was only a few seconds until he heard faint hissing on the other side of the mansion before some shouting and a bunch of fireworks.

And then after what seemed like forever, there was more hissing.

And the the explosion happened.

_______________________________

"Almost there." Joe whispered. He and Cleo were crouching in a small tunnel, trying to make it to the spot they'd dug out earlier. Iskall and Mumbo had no way of knowing when they were in position, so they basically had to race the slime contraption to the mansion. Finally, they hit the end of the tunnel and waited.

And waited.

"I hear it." Cleo perked up. In the distance was a faint hissing.

And that was interrupted by some shouts from Iskall and a bunch of rockets going off... Weird.

_________________________________

"Almost there." Mumbo was perched in the front of the slime jet, and Iskall was in the back, readying himself at the contraption they'd built.

"And...." They hit the edge of the mansion. "Now!"

Iskall reached for the button, but something was already hissing. "ouT GET OUT!" He panicked, shouting. Mumbo had already rocketed away, Iskall following.

Next to the TNT was a creeper, that had somehow spawned next to Iskall while they were flying.

"Um..." Iskall hesitated.

Mumbo on the other hand, like the spoon he was, dove down and smacked the creeper with the spare piston he was holding.

Hissssssssssss

"Abort!" Mumbo yelped, diving off the slime jet.

__________________________________

"That.. was suspiciously late." Cleo whispered as the explosions went off.

Joe pulled out the beacon and placed it on the little shrine thing they'd built earlier, punching a hole in the roof of the tunnel, allowing the beacon to light up. "We need to hurry."

Cleo nodded and pulled out her iron shovel. She could already feel the haste seeping in. One reason the project had taken so long was because they needed the beacon, which meant a few trips to the nether and a lot more mining than they'd anticipated.

She began shoveling away the dirt, tunneling much farther under the mansion than they could earlier. Now that Mumbo and Iskall had distracted the Evokers and Vindicators, they could tunnel underneath without having to worry about them noticing the beacon's noise as quickly.

A few minutes later, they hit a wall, in which they tunneled a bit under. "This it?" Cleo asked.

Joe nodded. "I think so. Ready?"

Cleo nodded, unsheathing out Iskall's sword.

___________________________________

Mumbo hit the ground, surprised he'd survived that. In his panic, he forgot how Elytra worked and hit the ground full force.

He glanced up to see Iskall in a tree and a split second later, the creeper exploded, setting off the Tnt that was supposed to launch into the mansion. Oh well. It still created a diversion nonetheless.

Iskall hopped down from the tree and the two ran back to the Mini-base. Well, the portal in the location the base used to be in. They quickly hopped through and Iskall glanced at the compass he'd pulled out of his inventory. He moved so he was facing East, and waited.

___________________________________

Joe hacked a hole in the top of the tunnel and climbed out into the room. There was a couple Vindicators facing away from him as he pulled Cleo up.

Cleo ran forward, and took the two Vindicators out before they could alert any other illagers. Joe looked around. There was a door to his right, and to his left...

"Grian!?"