Chapter 10: ...And Found

In a corner cell, huddled in a ball on a bloody bed, was Grian.

And he looked terrible.

He had blue spots dotting his hands and face, and his red sweater was torn and had what looked to be burn marks on it. Grian also had two painful-looking horns sprouting out the top of his head. Grian had red streaks on his face, as if his tears had left scars, and his wings...

"Hey Grian." He whispered softly, slowly approaching the cell. Grian looked terrified, like a skittish fox. "Remember me?"

Grian was shaking like a leaf, and the words that came out sent shivers down Joe's back. "Are... Are you real?"

It was a genuine question.

Joe opened the Iron door and broke the Redstone so it wouldn't close behind him. He stepped into the tiny cell. Poor Grian. Joe knew he hated being trapped.

Joe reached out a hand to Grian and gave him a smile. "It's alright. I'm here. We're going to get you out of here, for good."

Grian tentatively took Joe's hand and Joe pulled him to his feet and out of the cell. Grian stumbled, and Joe let him lean against him for support. "Time to get out of here." He said, wrapping an arm around the fae's shoulders.

__________________________________________________

"Do you see them?" Mumbo asked worriedly.

"No sign yet." Iskall glanced at Mumbo. "I hope nothing went wrong."

"They should be fine," Mumbo fidgeted with his tie. "Cleo's a formidable fighter, and Joe's pretty smart."

Some time passed, and even Mumbo was beginning to think they should go back and find them.

"Where are they?" Mumbo whispered, half to himself.

___________________________________________________

Cleo was running, glancing around for the flint and steel. She must've dropped it while she was fighting the Vindicators, but where had it gone?

Oh..... crap.

An illager with a blue robe was holding the said tool.

"Oh. You." Cleo drew Iskall's sword. This must've been the illager that had hurt Grian. 

She was ready for the fight, but worried about Joe and Grian. After she'd realized she dropped the lighter, she'd ran back up to find it. Joe'd said he'd watch Grian, but the tunnel wasn't well lit and the sun was beginning to set. She had to get the flint and steel back before zombies began spawning, or worse.

"Well," Cleo took a breath and began approaching the illager. "Guess we fight."

________________________________________________

Grian shivered. Joe had removed his jumper and was carefully applying a healing potion to his back. He didn't want to look at his wings, he knew they'd only remind him of what the illusioner had done.

"You're doing great, just stay with me." Joe said calmly. "Once we get back home, Doc and Scar will fix you up. There's bound to be something in Area 77 to help. Remember Area 77?"

Grian cracked a small smile. "Hippie land. Of course."

Joe chuckled. "Just stay with me bud. Cleo'll be back any minute with the flint and steel, and we'll be in the nether and out of this tunnel." He finished applying the potion and helped Grian put his jumper back on. 

Even after respawning in the cell, the magical wounds the illager had given him had stayed. Joe was doing his best to keep Grian alive, but the wounds were like a slow wither effect, eating away at his health.

Grian keeled over, feeling faint.

"Whoa! Stay with me." Joe pulled Grian back into a sitting position. "Stay awake, okay? You need to stay awake a bit longer-"

"Grrrrrrrrr"

Joe glanced over his shoulder, and sure enough, mobs had begun to spawn.

"Cleo, please hurry."