『 9.5 』

Aya slowly turned around.

Shit! Why is she staring at me so intently with those cute doe eyes?!

My confidence faltered as I melted in her gaze.

"Oh! Did you want your book back?" she looked away to rummage through her bag.

"Oh...uh... I-I just wanted to say 'hi'," I stuttered while averting my eyes.

Was I staring too long? Calm down. I'm a cool cat. A COOL CAT!

"Here." She handed me the manga I lent her.

"Thanks." I accepted the book.

Why did I stop her? What should I say?

"W-well, if you don't need me then I'll get going," she waved.

Wait!

"Hey hey....HEY!" an annoying voice shouted.

How did he find me?

"Oof!" was the sound of air getting knocked out of my lungs after being tackled by Bokuto.

If it was another situation, I would have been elated to see him. However, today was a different story.

I slowly got up, my shoulder throbbing in pain.

"Ow, that hurt," I complained, rubbing my shoulder.

That's going to bruise.

"Oh my goodness, are you okay?" Aya rushed over and knelt down to offer her hand to me but the owl bastard grabbed her hands instead.

Bokuto pulled her up with him.

"It's that owl," Aya whispered.

"Yes, yes! That's me! You remember me?!" Bokuto nearly shoved his face into hers.

"I...uh...who..."

"What are you doing in this part of town, Bokuto?" I interrupted his sappy meeting with Aya.

"You weren't responding to my messages so I came to check up on you," he responded.

Tch. His last message was 'When are you going to introduce me to the archery girl?!'.

"As you can see, I'm very busy right now so you can go home," I tried to ward him off.

"Umm, excuse me," Aya spoke up, "can you let go of my hand?"

"Ah, sorry," Bokuto finally let go of her hand. "I'm Bokuto Kotaro, by the way. What's your name?"

"My name is-"

"None of your business," I cut her off, standing in between them with my arms crossed.

"I'll buy you a beef bowl if you leave," I mouthed to him.

"Make that five," he mouthed back, signing a five with his hand.

The audacity! I barely even had money for one!

"No way!" I harshly whispered.

A sly smile crept up his face, "Didn't you say you were busy? What business do you have to attend to?"

"I..." I looked down at my watch, "Crap! I'm going to be late!"

It was already 4:50. I was supposed to go grocery shopping first but I'd be late to meeting up with Old Man Abe if I did.

I grabbed my belongings from the ground then pointed at Bokuto, "No funny business while I'm away!"

I turned around and ran in the opposite direction.