『 23 』

Original Artist Unknown

I relaxed my hands as I calmed myself down.

Now is not the time to lose my cool.

If I learned anything in all manga I've read over the years, it's that when you're pushed into a corner, you have to push back with full force.

I walked to Ishihara and placed a hand on her shoulder, gripping it as hard as I could.

Immediately, her body tensed.

"If you cross me again, you'll wish that the only thing I do to you is merely 'pushing you down'."

My voice was low and ominous as I kept a smile on my face. Everyone stared at us, wondering what I could have possibly said to her.

I didn't have to see her face to know what she looked like. I could feel her whole body trembling under my hand.

I let go of her shoulder and continued walking past her.

"You! What did you say!" Her friend, presumably "Saeko", shouted.

Her voice was getting closer to me. I quickly turned around to see Saeko's hand reaching out to me.

Is she going to grab me? Slap me?

I reflexively grabbed her wrist before she could touch me. I held onto her wrist tightly until her hand fell limp.

"Ishihara-san. You need to teach your dogs to keep their hands to themselves." I let go of Saeko's wrist, letting it drop to her side. "It'd be a shame if something happened to their precious paws."

I turned around and proudly walked out of the cafeteria.

Off in the distance I could hear the students settling their bets. Some of them had predicted that there would be a fight today, and out of those few, some had predicted that I'd win.

Judging from their comments, Team Sakurai won this battle.

But little did they know, I already won the war.

As I walked around the school, I found an empty stairwell. Once I confirmed no one could see me, I collapsed to my knees.

I could feel blood being drained from my face causing it to go numb. My hands were shaking uncontrollably as I inspected them.

I knew the effects of adrenaline but I didn't think it'd come in handy at a time like this. I couldn't believe I threatened not one but two people! In public!

I've definitely gone mad!

However, I can't deny that it felt amazing. I blocked an attack midway; I must have looked so cool!

I think I hurt that girl's hand though. I wanted to scare her off but I didn't think her wrist would be so flimsy. I guess all those years in archery club wasn't for naught.

My mind kept racing. I was proud of sticking up for myself, but at the same time, disappointed in the way I handled the situation.

Those words I said, the things I did...it just wasn't me.

A pair of warm arms slithered around my body.

My shoulders jumped up as my whole body tensed up.

I was engulfed by a familiar scent, calming me down.

"Kuroo..."

He nuzzled his face into the nape of my neck, blocking me from seeing him, but I knew it was him.

"What are you-"

"I'm sorry. Just let me hold you like this a little longer...and then I promise...I'll keep my distance from you again...."