Chapter 5

Akio

~~~

A man hunched over the garden, a mini shovel in one gloved hand with a dug up flower in the other.  The therapist stopped when she saw him and tilted her head, curious as to who he was.

"Hello!" The man stopped and turned around while getting to his feet, one hand on his hip while the other rested on his head; a blue cap sat on top.

"Hey hey, young lady. What brings you here? Are you a new maid or somethin'?" She smiled and shook her head.

"I'm just a therapist, (Y/N)! I never knew they had a personal gardener here, that's so cool! And the garden is beautiful. You must take very good care of it." He chuckled at her enthusiasm before strolling closer to her, the grass bouncing back up when it was stepped on.

"Thank you, Miss (Y/N). But I'd like to say, nobody's just a 'just'. There's more to a person than their occupation." She tilted her head at his puzzling words, wondering what he could have possibly meant before he brushed it off, apologizing and muttering something about 'old fools words.'

The doors opened and revealed Akio, who eagerly waved (Y/N) over. The therapist turned to the old man, who had his hand on his chin, quietly questioning where his glasses could've gone.

"It was nice meeting you mister! Take care!"

He smiled and watched the girl disappear behind the oak doors, calling out one more thing before she vanished from his sight completely, "Bye-bye, Miss (Y/N)! Oh, and the names Jim!" He shook his head and grinned, returning to tending the garden and its flowers.

"Hello (Y/N). I see you've met our gardener." She nodded and smiled, peering through a window and watching the old man work with ease.

"Yes, he's very nice. Ah, the one scheduled for today is Itsuki?" A hesitant nod from the male confirmed it, and she shifted the bag on her shoulders.

Akio rubbed his neck before sighing, "I suppose you already know, but Itsuki doesn't do very well with other people other than Riku, Shiro and I, so it might be a little difficult to get through to him."

She nodded, determined to take on the challenge as she followed the male up the curving stairs and to a grand hallway, the white carpet feeling like a cloud beneath her feet with every step, the walls lined with extravagant lights and fancy wallpaper. She truly felt like she was in a castle. Akio stood in front of a room, a blue light emitting from the space in between the door and the floor.

"Hey, Itsuki. The therapist's here if you wanna-" fast-paced shuffling was heard before a click sounded. Akio sighed and jiggled the doorknob, but it was no use.

He shrugged and turned to the female. "Well, he's all yours now. Good luck, I think you're going to need it." She assumed he was implying that he was a hard egg to crack. If she was going to do her job, then she will do it to the best of her abilities, that's what she signed up for.

She tapped on the door, waiting for a response on the other side. There was none except for the faint clacking of buttons, probably from a remote or game controller. Thinking, she pulled a notepad from her bag and wrote down a greeting and her name, then slid it under the door before tapping the door again lightly with the pen.

The sounds stopped and more shuffling was heard, and she watched the shadow of the notepad disappear as the person behind the door picked it up. The shadow of a person sitting down replaced the notepad, and soon it was slid under the door again.

'I'm Itsuki.' She frowned at the short response before writing her reply.

'Nice to meet you, Itsuki! What are you doing right now?' She slid it under and crossed her legs, smiling when she read what he wrote.

'Playing games.'

'Cool! What game are you playing?'

It took a while for his response to come. 'Mystic Fighters. A rare boss just appeared. I have to go.'

She frowned and scribbled on the paper once more. 'Alright, have fun! We'll talk next time!'

A messy 'ok' went back to her, and soon the sound of buttons clicking once again returned. She took the notepad and stood up, turning around and crashing into someone's chest.

"Wah! Shiro! I-I'm so sorry, I didn't see you there," she fretted before he chuckled.

"It's fine (Y/N). So, any progress on Itsuki?" She nodded and held up the notepad, showing him and Akio, who just appeared and looked over Shiro's shoulder at the written conversation.

Akio smiled. "Wow, I'm impressed! Usually, Itsuki doesn't interact with anyone. At all. Almost impossible. Zero. Nada."

Shiro clicked his tongue, nudging Akio away from him. "Okay okay, I'm pretty sure she gets it."

Akio completely ignored him and leaned against his shoulder while maintaining his charming smile. "So what's the plan now? Your session with Itsuki was really short, I'm sure you have spare time?"

(Y/N) nodded and opened her mouth, about to speak before another voice cut her off.

"Oi, (Y/N)!" She turned around to see a colourful cube flying her way, and she caught the before it hit her face, Riku following behind with his hands in his pockets.

"I solved it. I'm a God at this shit. Next time, give me something harder." He boasted, shoving past her with a smirk. She inspected the rubrics cube, all the sides solved and colour coded without mistake. She smiled and tapped on his shoulder, quickly digging for something in her bag. Pulling out a white box with bold black writing, she handed it to him.

He opened it up and clenched his teeth. "What the hell is this?! What are you trying to get at?!" The therapist maintained her calm and didn't show her fear, and as the other two peered inside, their souls leaving their body at the sight of the contents while she explained cautiously to Riku.

"It's an all-white puzzle. I heard it is very difficult to solve, and since that rubrics cube seemed to help, I figured brain teasers like this would too!" He looked at the box, then at the therapist before grinning.

"Hmph. Challenge accepted." He walked away and to a room, shutting the door loudly behind him. Shiro only sighed, running a hand through his hair muttering an insult towards the red-haired male.

A piece of paper slid underneath the door, the three leaned over and read the words on it. 'You guys are loud. Talk somewhere else.' She frowned and checked the time, noting that the session was over.

Collecting her payment and saying her goodbyes, she left the house.