Mama Always Knows Best

06
Mama Always Knows Best
Doom Patrol Season One: Episode 6

Calvin, Jane, and Larry followed Joshua and Iyanna Clay through the double doors. The architecture of the boarding school was inspired, yet modern. Not a speck of dust was out of place.

Calvin swayed on his feet. A wave of fatigue rocked his stomach, he clutched it as such. His shoulder brushed against Larry's.

"You gonna be okay kid?" Larry asked Calvin as he held the boy steady. Though his face was masked, Calvin noticed a look of concern.

Something inside of him, a part of him he could not yet control, could see Larry under the bandages. Could see the severe burns that melted away his ears and lips. The burns that left him raw.

Somehow, he could see what Larry used to look like as well. He could see a glowing light inside Larry as well. A light that looked back at him.

Calvin ignored the gaze of Larry's glow, and the nauseating prickle in his gut. He stood up and nodded curtly. Nothing would stop him from speaking to his mother. Well, the version of his mother standing before him.

"Miss... Clay?" The name tasted strange in Calvin's mouth. Though she wasn't his real mother, he still felt like she was betraying his father. The way she clung to Joshua made his stomach turn even more. He couldn't even look at her belly.

Iyanna turned and looked at Calvin. Her brown eyes fixed into his. "Call me Iyanna. Is there something I can do for you?" She asked.

I..." He cleared his throat. "I was wondering if I could speak with you alone? I know I'm not a student here, but I need a little guidance if it's no trouble for you."

"Oh it's no trouble at all, come back to my office. Josh, you all will be alright without us won't you?" She asked her husband.

Josh looked into his wife's eyes. Though his lips said yes, there was something about the look in his eye. It wasn't anger, but it wasn't pleasure either. He seemed on edge, almost afraid.

Calvin shook it off and followed Iyanna to her office. The office wasn't large, but it wasn't small either. There was a homy feel to it.

The walls were lined with pictures of kids. Kids from many generations, all meta human. Every last one of them looked happy.

Shelves were cluttered with knickknacks and mementos. Letters from old students, drawings, even books. He noticed an anatomy book on her desk, the desk that was even more cluttered than her shelves.

He smiled fondly at it. Remembering the mountains of textbooks his real mother had scattered around their home. "Anatomy?" He asked, eyes flicking up.

Iyanna's eyes were already on him. Already studying him as if she could read him like a book. She smiled and picked the book up.

"I was helping one of my students with their anatomy class. Human physiology can be tricky, I'm sure you know that from your own classes. High school correct?" She asked, brow raised.

Calvin knew in an instant what Iyanna was trying to do. His own mother did it when she was trying to solicit answers from him. Asking questions without truly asking them.

The truth was, he hadn't thought about school in days. It was hard to think about much of anything other than staying alive lately. Yet, still, he nodded.