Unbreak My Heart

18
Unbreak My Heart
Season Two: Episode 1

"Let him go," Rachel demanded. She whirled around, her dark self taking hold. "Let him go!"

She aimed her palm at Trigon's face. Dark matter spurted from hands. Trigon snapped his finger and the darkness faded quicker than it came. Rachel gasped.

Calvin couldn't believe his eyes. He did that with so much ease. That was a testament to just how much power Trigon held inside.

Calvin thrusted his hand forward. An emerald blade shot out of a vortex. It spiraled towards Trigon.

He caught the blade without looking at it. The green energy crackled against his palm. He grunted but easily overpowered the energy within. The blade of light turned to ash and shadow.

"I'm afraid you're both grounded," He said. "No more magic. For either of you." He added, giving Calvin a stern eye.

"We won't let you do this," Rachel protested.

"Let me? You did this. You brought me here. Your purpose was to bring me into your world. The whole journey you've taken with your friends, it's all been to make this moment happen." Said Trigon.

Angela rushed to his side. She clung to her lover. "I couldn't be more proud. You've given this world a gift."

"You never loved me," Rachel said. Her voice was paper thin, soft as a feather. Breaking from the inside out. "You used me." She accused.

"She used us both. This was never about saving Gar, this was about him!" Calvin hissed. He left Gar's side and stomped over to Rachel.

"Oh sweet girl, this is so much more important than love." Angela said to Rachel. "Or Gar." She said to Calvin.

"Just let him go." Rachel pleaded.

"Why are you doing this?" Calvin asked.

"Look around you, children. All there is here is loss, betrayal, and decay. Everyone you love will leave you by their own hand or in ashes. Nothing lasts. The only thing that awaits you is disappointment." Trigon preached.

"You're a case in point," Calvin seethed.

Trigon's glare snapped to him. "Careful with your tongue, son." He warned through an icy voice.

Calvin wanted to double over in fear. He didn't have that luxury. So he stood his ground. "I'm not your son." He spat.

Trigon scoffed. "Oh but aren't you? Your mother gave you to me with little thought. Your father? My seed washed his inferior DNA away with ease. He was nothing, a surrogate. I merged your darkness with mine and it extinguished the light inside." He said in Calvin's face.

"Can't you feel it, son? You will lose everyone. It's heartbreaking isn't it? Let your hearts break. It's inevitable. And then you'll be free to join me. Our future will be glorious." He said to his children.

"Uh... hard pass." Gar interjected from the doorway. "Cal, Rach, we gotta go." He said.

Calvin took Rachel's hand and yanked her towards Gar. His other hand laced with Gar's. The three of them ran through the house.

Calvin found it odd that Trigon didn't follow. They ran upstairs.

"No offense, but your dad is an asshole." Gar said to them.