The Escape

15
The Escape
Season One: Episode 7

Calvin stirred awake on a sofa. He jumped up, only for his brain to crash into him as it followed. He swayed. Beside him, Rachel did the same.

He turned and saw Dr. Adamson sitting in a chair nearby. He watched them like a predator. Smiling as he poured a fresh cup of tea.

"How did you get here?" Rachel asked.

Calvin looked around the room. His heart dropped when he didn't see Gar. "Where's Gar?" He asked.

He pushed himself to his feet. "If you hurt him-"

"You may be inclined to use your abilities to escape this situation, but if you do, it won't just be Gar that you place in danger." Said Adamson, calm as ever. He stirred a cube of sugar into his tea.

"What are you talking about?" Rachel asked.

"Quite noble, how they came looking for you." He said.

"Where are they?" Asked Rachel. She stood by Calvin's side. Their fingers brushed together.

The lights in the room flickered in response.

"Undergoing evaluation. They could be useful to us."

"Who the fuck are you people?" Calvin asked.

"We are but servants tasked with finding Rachel. But to discover you, well, that makes the reunion much sweeter. Your father will be pleased that we have delivered you both." He said, taking a slow sip.

"You said my mother was here. Was that a lie?" Rachel asked. The man took too long to answer, she didn't like that one bit. "Is she here? Is my mother alive?" She continued.

"You better answer her, you pale fuck." Calvin growled.

Dr. Adamson chuckled. "Yes," He said unfazed.

"I want to see her."

"No."

"Why?"

"She tried to hide you from us like Calvin's mother. To keep you from your father. Perhaps it was a mistake keeping her alive. We believed that she could lead us to you. But we have you now." He said.

"Don't hurt her," Said Rachel.

"Well, I suppose that depends on you."

Calvin shook his head. "Rachel I don't like this," He whispered. "We have to find Gar."

His heart pounded against his ribcage. He clutched his chest in fear it would explode. Pins and needles prickled upon his palms and arms.

The light started to flicker. The tea kettle clattered against the table.

"Now, now, Calvin. Control your temper. You wouldn't want your young friend getting hurt, would you?"

"Cal, breathe," Rachel whispered.

He clenched his fists. "I'm trying." He said through clenched teeth. He backed away and tried to pull air into his chest. It felt like his lungs had locked up.

"Perhaps we should talk about your friends. You could convince them to stop fighting, to join us. They love you, they'll listen." Adamson said to Rachel.