So Roar

12
So Roar
Season One: Episode 5

They trained for another hour or so, before returning to the motel. Somewhere along the way, night fell. Gar and Calvin sat on a bench in the parking lot.

"You sure you guys are okay?" Gar asked, his eyes burning holes in the back of Calvin's head. "It was kinda scary back there."

Calvin broke his stare at the van. "I'm fine," He said. "Are you?" He looked into Gar's eyes.

"Sure," Gar responded. He flashed a smile.

"So does it hurt? When you transform. I don't think I ever asked you that," Calvin said.

"Close your eyes." Gar said. He sank onto the bench beside Calvin.

Calvin watched him warily.

"I'm not gonna do anything weird," Gar said before chuckling. "Well, not that weird." He clarified.

"I can handle a little weird," Calvin said, smiling softly.

The streetlights never did anyone justice, not that Gar could remember. Yet, somehow, they made Calvin look like something out of a dream.

"Just close your eyes," Gar said softly.

Calvin obliged. "Fine, but I better get my fair share of weird or else." He warned. He shut his eyes.

"Take a deep breath," Gar said. Once Calvin breathed deep enough to satisfy him, he spoke again. "Now imagine electricity running through your whole body."

Calvin tried to picture it. He felt tingles, but never any electricity.

"It... It doesn't hurt it just.. feels like you get plugged into something. Then you start to feel strong, like... like, really strong. And when you breathe, it's like you're breathing in the whole world. Feel it?" Gar asked.

His calm, voice and vivid details guided Calvin's imagination. Calvin nodded slowly. He could feel it in his fingertips, then in his entire body.

"You feel totally free. All that strength, you wanna run, you wanna jump. You wanna break shit. Just... You feel like you can do anything." Gar said, practically bouncing with excitement.

"And you wanna roar. Not because you're angry, but... because you just wanna let it all out. So roar." He said.

Calvin shook his head. "I don't roar," He said. "I'm more of an anxious squeal kind of guy." Calvin joked.

Gar chuckled softly, and so did he.

Gar shrugged his shoulders. His giddy smile was contagious. "That's what it's like." He said.

Calvin nodded. "I wish I could feel that way all the time." He said.

"Me too," Gar responded.

Rachel walked over to them with 3 paper cups in her hands. "Here you lovebirds go." She said.

Calvin smiled at her and took a cup. Gar's cheeks burned red as he took a cup.

"Thanks," They said in unison.

Calvin yawned after taking a sip. "I think I'm gonna head to bed. I think my body is going to shut down on me." He said climbing to his feet.