An Eye For An Eye

16
An Eye For An Eye
Episode 8

The next morning, Calvin woke up beside Gar. Gar's sweater had rode up his abdomen in the night. He could see burn marks dotting the boy's skin. Likely from the prod they used at the asylum.

He reached out. With a soft touch, he put his hands on Gar. He shut his eyes. A faint green light took hold of his hands.

As that light grew, the bruises and burn marks faded. They left behind not a single mark. Only a clear canvas of skin.

He could see things in Gar's mind. He could see those men jabbing him with the prod. Feel the pain of the voltage rushing through him.

He could see Gar tearing the scientist apart. He could feel the utter disgust Gar felt when he realized what he'd done. The shame of it all.

Calvin opened his eyes. They locked with Gar's. His messy green hair spilled over his eyes but he could see Calvin as clear as day.

"I-I'm sorry. I just.."

Gar put his hands on top of Calvin's. "Don't be sorry, I don't mind." A tender smile formed on Gar's lips.

Calvin nodded. "I saw things," He said with a hanged head. "Every time I heal you, I see things." He elaborated.

"I know. I felt it." Gar said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Calvin asked.

"Not right now," Gar said. "I-I can't yet. I don't know how I feel about it."

That was a lie. Calvin knew it and Gar knew that he knew. "Okay. I just want to say, what you did saved us."

Gar released his hands. "Yeah, I know." He said. He sat up and sniffed. "Hey, do you smell breakfast?"'

"Yeah." Calvin responded, watching Gar cross the room.

"Great, I'm starved. You coming?" Gar asked, ruffling his hair.

"I-Yeah, in a minute. I just... I'm still pretty tired. I didn't sleep much." He said.

"You were tossing and turning a lot," Gar said leaning on the door. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No." Calvin said quickly.

Gar left the room soon after. Calvin plopped back down on the bed and sighed. He didn't want to leave the bed. He didn't have the energy.

His powers, however, had other plans. Just as he started to sink back to sleep, he vanished into the green lights.

Calvin fell on his knees in the gravel outside of a diner. He pushed himself to his feet. He cursed under his breath.

A woman gasped. She hugged her children closer to her. "My god!" She exclaimed, bewildered.

Calvin glared at her. "What? Mind your business, lady." He hissed.

She recoiled. The woman ushered her kids back into her minivan and sped away.

Calvin sighed. "Where the hell am I?" He asked. He turned to the window of the barren diner. In the window, he could see his reflection.

A distorted version of himself looked back at him. He gasped. "What's happening?" He whispered to himself.

He looked past his reflection. He saw a man standing at the counter. Not just any man, either. The man who ruined his life. He would never forget those eyes.