Soulmates

It had been a few days since Pearce and Y/N had discovered their connection. Over those few days they had gotten to know each other a lot better, and Y/N could confidently say that she knew him well and they were real friends. However, Y/N had still kept him in the dark about her family situation. She had told him about her amazing younger sister, and how they got along great, but every time Pearce asked about anything else family-related, she'd either change the subject or tell him she had to go do something. Naturally, this made Pearce curious, but he didn't push any further into it. Because of this, he felt like he was kept in the dark about her real life.

It was a cloudy Monday morning, and Y/N was walking out the door of her small, old home for her 5 block walk to school. It was slightly cold and very windy, so she had a grey jumper on to try and keep out the bitter chill that added to her saddened mood. Her parents had had a fight the night before, arguing about their financial problems, of course, but this argument had seemed more serious than any she had ever heard before. Her and Olivia had sat outside their parent's bedroom door, listening to the angry yelling and threatening that occurred so often in their house. Y/N hadn't caught much, mostly because the loudness of the conversation made it hard to hear, but she picked up parts like, "We might not be able to keep the home", or "What happened to the food that was supposed to be on the table last night? Where was it?" Or even things like, "I'm trying to keep the girls alive, so pull your weight". Olivia had seemed especially shaken afterwards, and when Y/N had gone to bed, she heard gentle sobbing inside Olivia's room. It broke her heart, to say the least.

Now, back to the present, Y/N was feeling as dull as the weather. So, pulling up her hood, she kept her head down to try and hide the emotions that were slowly making their way into her dull eyes.

Pearce's P.O.V

Pearce woke up that morning feeling, well, dull. He didn't know why, as everything in his life was going normally, which meant nothing bad was happening. The weather outside was grey, but he usually loved it like that, so he had no idea what was bothering him. The teen was going to his school, the Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute, which he normally enjoyed since he was pursuing his passion. But, today, and last night even, he wasn't feeling his usual chirpy and energetic self. Still wondering why, Pearce gloomily ate his breakfast, then remembered that he had someone to talk to about all this. Smiling slightly, he thought as loud as he could:

"Y/N!"

Normal P.O.V

Y/N was still walking down her street when a loud voice reverberated inside her head. "Y/N!" It said, and the girl winced as her quiet mind was suddenly filled with noise. Hey Pearce, what is it? She asked, wondering what could possibly bring his mind to have a chat right in this moment. "Well, I just wanted to talk to you about something. Ever since last night, I've been feeling really down. Like, really down", he elaborated, his voice sounding slightly sad. "I just wanted to tell you how I was feeling coz, well, what better person to talk to when you're feeling miserable than the person who lives in your head", he said, chuckling a little as he said that. Then it went quiet, and a peaceful silence filled Y/N's head again until she replied.

Well, to be honest, I've been feeling a bit sad myself. I mean, ever since last night..., she started to say until Pearce cut in. "Wait, you've been feeling sad too? And since last night?" He wondered, curiosity bringing him out of his glum mood for a split second. Yeah, she told him, kicking a small stone away with her scuffed shoes. "Huh, what a coincidence", he mumbled, and Y/N instantly realised that thoughts not meant for her to hear were going through his head. He was obviously thinking this over to himself without remembering that she knew every thought he had. Hey Pearce, you do remember that I know what you're thinking, even when it's not directly aimed at me? The girl said, smiling a little to herself. Pearce hummed a little, then replied with, "Well then, you obviously know what I'm going to say, so what do you think?"

Y/N considered his train of thought, then whispered, I also think it weird how we feel the same emotions as each other. What are the odds?

Pearce's P.O.V

When Y/N said that, I had an epiphany. Well, of sorts. I remembered reading something on the internet one time, and while I had originally disbelieved it, these circumstances were making me think differently. "Hey Y/N", I said, wondering how I could tell her this. "You don't think we're....soulmates, do you?"

Normal P.O.V

When Pearce thought that, Y/N stood stunned on the spot. She had never considered that before. She had heard about soulmates before, but personally it didn't make any sense to her. I mean, how could two people be joined together by the universe itself? It seemed crazy in Y/N's mind, but now that she thought about it, it seemed to make so much sense to her. Soulmates could feel each other's feelings, and have a connection to each other that was unlike anything else. They could hear each other's thoughts for heaven's sake! And it all made perfect sense with how Pearce was feeling today as well. She was feeling down, so Pearce, without any reason whatsoever, started feeling down as well. Plus, the first thought that Y/N had ever heard Pearce say was, "Do soulmates exist?" It was almost like that thought triggered their connection, because it's been known that soulmates will connect when the time is right.

Still stunned by this revelation, Y/N couldn't control her thoughts. She couldn't make out one single sentence to clearly communicate to her telepathic partner, or soulmate, it seemed. Finally, one clear thought made its way to Y/N's mind. A question that she had been asking herself since their first connection. Why? She thought, grabbing the attention of the equally as shocked Pearce. He seemed to have a mind blank for a moment, as no thoughts made their way into Y/N's attention. However, after what seemed like an eternity, Pearce replied, "I don't know why, or how this could happen, but, if we really are soulmates, then I'm glad the universe chose you to be mine". His soft and honest voice made the girl blush, and if anyone was walking down the road that she was on at that moment, they would be thoroughly confused as to why her cheeks were as red as tomatoes.

After a long while of peace in Y/N's mind, due to her and Pearce not having anything further to say, she sighed. Out loud, that is. "Well, I guess the universe took my wish of wanting a change seriously", she muttered to herself, looking up to see her school betting closer. Finally deciding to say something, she thought quietly, I'm glad you're mine, Pearce. Then she cleared her throat and added, But for now, I'm almost at school, and it'd probably be best if I concentrated on my work instead of... you, she told him, blushing at the last part. Little did she know that that comment made Pearce blush furiously too. "Ok, I'll try not to think about this stuff anymore, but it'll be hard", he added with an awkward chuckle. Y/N grinned slightly to herself. This was one way to keep her thoughts away from her current family situation.

I'll talk to you later, Pearce, she said as she made her way up the cobblestone steps of her school. "I'll look forward to it, Y/N", he replied, and the girl blushed for the millionth time that day, trying hard to hide her face under her hoodie in case any other students noticed.

And, even though she tried so hard, Y/N could not focus on her schoolwork that day. Not one bit.