Closer

Pearce's P.O.V

Last night was so funny. Me and Y/N just told each other jokes and riddles that made us laugh so hard we couldn't even breathe. Of course, we were laughing in our heads (that sounds so weird when you say it out loud😂), but I could tell that Y/N was laughing out loud as well. For me, let's just say I feel sorry for anyone who lives next door, coz it would sound like I was craughing at nothing (crying + laughing = craughing. I know, word of my own invention. It's great😂). She's actually a real funny person, and she's so witty that she had a comeback for anything that I might've said. I'm honestly just glad I found a way to make her feel better, though.

Normal P.O.V

After an amazing and hilarious night, Y/N woke up the following morning feeling better about her situation. Her parent's fight was pushed to the back of her mind and, even though she had told them to go shopping after work today, she had decided to take Olivia and do some shopping after school themselves, just in case. Since Y/N had taken to not eating breakfast in the mornings in order to save food, she very quickly got dressed and ready for school so she could have a little conversation with Pearce before she endured another day of boredom. Sitting on her bed and closing her bedroom door, Y/N picked up a book so as not to look suspicious in case anyone entered and saw her seemingly having a "mind conversation" with herself. Then, shutting out all distractions, the girl closed her eyes and reached out with the word Pearce to her soulmate. It felt so weird to be thinking of him that way, to be honest. Finally, he responded.

"Hey Y/N, what's up? How'd you sleep last night?" He inquired, being as sweet and caring as always. Y/N chuckled a bit out loud before responding. Nothing's up, Pearce. I just wanted to talk to you before I headed off to school coz you always make my days better. Then, feeling embarrassed with that last statement, she quickly added in, And I slept fine, thanks. She was secretly hoping that no one walked into her room in that moment, because she was blushing bright pink at her own response. "Damn it Y/N, that was real smooth", she whispered to herself before focusing back in on Pearce's response.

Pearce's P.O.V

Did she really just say that talking to me makes her days better? I felt my cheeks heating up slightly at her comment, and I hesitantly cleared my throat before responding (with a bit of a joking tone, may I add), So I'm the one that makes all your days better. Really, Y/N, I'm flattered. I'm super glad right now that we can choose how our inner voices sound, coz if we were having a face-to-face conversation, my voice would've been so cracked with embarrassment. Happy embarrassment, of course, since any compliment from her is one that I take highly....

Wait, what?

Normal P.O.V

Pearce said that last statement with mock cockiness, making the girl laugh a little. You always find a way to put yourself up so high without bringing anyone else down, don't you? She asked him sassily, a playful smirk appearing on her face. The book that she had previously picked up as a cover had long been discarded onto her bed, since she wasn't bothered holding it up anymore. As a result, Y/N was completely off her guard when Olivia burst open her door, asking if she had seen her sneakers. The teen quickly snapped up the book off the bed to make it seem like she had been reading it the whole time and not having a conversation with a telepathic soulmate. Unfortunately, what she didn't realise was the fact that the book was upside down, and Olivia took notice of that almost instantly.

"Hey Y/N, why are you reading that book upside down?" She questioned, suspiciously peering over her sister's shoulder to see if there was anything behind the book.

"Oh, no reason. I was...bored, so I, umm, was flipping the book around?" She told her, as more of a hesitant question than a statement. The girl hurriedly told Pearce to stop saying whatever he was saying so she could focus on her sister. Luckily, he stopped, and now, without the voice of Pearce in her head, she looked at her sister intently, who looked at Y/N as if she had grown another eye.

"Umm, okaaaayyy...", her sister drew out, still a bit weirded out by Y/N's behaviour. "Well, it's obvious that you haven't seen my sneakers then so I'm just gonna go", she hurriedly told her sister before rushing out of the room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Y/N breathed a sigh of relief that no questions had been asked about her strange behaviour, and she closed the book before thinking, Okay, my sister's gone. Luckily she didn't question why I was acting so weird but anyways, what were you saying again? Pearce chuckled a little before responding, "Well, I was telling you how I had come up with a list of questions to ask each other last night, you know, in order to get to know each other on a deeper level since we only know surface level stuff, and if you wanted to do that, but if you don't want to it's completely fine." Y/N considered his option for a while in silence. Well, Pearce obviously knew what she was thinking, but she responded with a clear, You know what, why not? It's not like we're complete strangers or anything, so let's give it a go. What are the questions?

Pearce's P.O.V

I was happy that she agreed to my offer, so I instantly cleared my throat (well, mentally) and asked the first question. So, first off, what's the one thing you wish you could change about yourself? Silence. I thought that this would be a pretty difficult question for someone who I thought was mostly perfect, but I was apparently wrong because almost 5 second later, she responded. "I wish I could be more open with people. Like, every time I want to become friends with someone, there's just something stopping me from being open and honest with them. It's like I'm afraid they'll judge me, or look down on me for who I am or what my life is like. I want to change that."

Normal P.O.V

When Y/N confessed that, she felt like that applied to Pearce as well. She hadn't been completely open with him about her life and her family situations, and especially her past....

Anyway, after a brief moment of silence, Y/N looked at her clock and decided it would be best to start walking to school, so she picked up her bag and hurried out the door. Her sister had already left with some friends, so the teen girl was all along on the bitter cold morning. Pulling up her grey hood and stuffing her hands in her pockets, the girl focused back in on how Pearce would respond. Soon after, he replied, "I didn't think you would be able to come up with something that quickly. I mean, to me, you're practically perfect. Not in a weird way, or anything", he added, causing a small smile to appear on Y/N's face. He was definitely super nice. "Anyway, next question. What's the one thing that people always misunderstand about you?" Y/N thought about that for a while. No one really ever talked to her, so how would she know what they misunderstood about her? After a while, she answered, I guess people always think of me as just a lonely quiet girl, when really, if you get to know me well, I can be the craziest, most fun-loving person ever. Well, besides you, she added with a smirk. Pearce laughed at that. "Yeah, no one can beat me in that area. You know, these questions are actually helping me understand you a lot more, even if this was only the second one. I feel like this can definitely bring us closer", he remarked, a smile clear in his voice.

Yeah, I guess they can, the girl stated with a small smile in her own voice. Pearce then asked the next question. "Okay, which parent are you closer to and why?" Y/N froze up a bit at that. Did she really want to tell him? If she told him, he'd surely ask more questions. Was she ready for someone to know everything about her? Sighing, she knew he was the one person who really deserved to know everything. So, with a bit of reluctance, she quietly responded,

None.