BETTER TOGETHER

Up until dinner, the next day was pretty uneventful. Spencer and I woke up late morning, both of our backs aching, due to falling asleep on the couch. I sent Rich a text, telling him that both Spencer and I were up for dinner. Almost immediately he responded with the time and place, which gave us the rest of the day to lounge around. Instead of making breakfast we hopped in my car and drove to a cafe close to the house to pick up coffee and breakfast and then headed to his place so he could grab a change of clothes. I sat outside in the car awkwardly, not wanting to intrude, which I think made him happy as later he claimed his place was a complete disaster. After that, we drove back to mine and ate breakfast on the couch.

It was nice waking up next to someone. Yes, it was different and extremely sudden, but it felt right somehow. Like I was meant to be with someone. I wondered if Spencer felt the same, but decided not to ask, fearing he'd say no.

Once breakfast was over we kind of did our own thing. Spencer continued to read up on work related things, while I had my usual afternoon beer and watched documentaries. I think I got through two before both of us realized we should probably start getting ready. I hopped in the shower first, washing my entire body before hopping out and grabbing my makeup. I walked into the hallway in my towel, yelling at him that it was his turn.

"Nice outfit." He said, pointing towards my basically naked body.

I tightened the towel around my chest, feeling embarrassed. I wasn't sure what to say so I just smiled and shook my head as I walked to the bedroom and closed the door. I heard him chuckle on the other side.

While Spencer showered, I threw on a full face of makeup, which was definitely weird to do, since other than the wedding last week I hadn't worn that much makeup since my interview with Rich. It wasn't that I didn't like makeup or anything, I just didn't really have a need for it since I wasn't trying to butter up customers or boys. Plus, I liked the way I looked without makeup. It felt more me.

Once I was done I stared at the mirror, raising my brow. I looked so weird, but a like, a good weird. My eyebrows were thick and my lashes were long and the contouring around my face made it look more precise and striking. I threw on a nude lipstick, pressing my lips together to smear it all together. After that, I put my towel in my hamper and threw on a matching set of black lace undies. I blowdried my hair as quickly as I could and combed it out. I usually tied my hair up, but tonight I decided why not go all out.

"Hey are you al-" Spencer opened the door and immediately stopped. "S-sorry."

"I-it's okay." I said nervously. I was only in my bra and underwear, but I guess it was definitely better than being naked.

"I forgot my belt in here." He bent down to pick up his belt on the floor. The whole time we kept eye contact. I could see his face go slightly red, which wasn't a big deal as my face was probably the same shade.

"You look nice." I smiled. Of course he did. He always did. He wore a pair of dark slacks with a plum button up and thick black cardigan. Like always, he wore a tie that brought the whole outfit together.

"So do you..." He paused and nervously laughed, looking down at the ground. "I mean, you will and you do and I'll just..." He threw his thumb over his shoulder motioning to the door.

I nodded, watching as he rushed out of the room. At that point I'd noticed I'd stopped breathing and let one out, feeling my chest loosen. Without another thought I stood up and grabbed a black jean skirt, a red striped short-sleeved blouse, and pair of ankle socks. I threw them all together and grabbed a pair of black boots and walked into the living room where Spencer awkwardly sat staring at the wall.