JUST BREATHE

I woke up around noon, feeling unnecessarily groggy. I groaned, sitting up from Spencer's bed and looking around. Aside from the now cleared off desk, the room was exactly the same as it had been the night before. I stood up, stretching my body, which felt slightly stiff. Something I expected when sleeping anywhere that wasn't my own bed. I walked out into the living room, rubbing my eyes tiredly. Spencer sat the kitchen table, his hand gripping a pen that he tapped curiously against his lip. He leaned back in his chair, staring at a set of papers blankly. I walked over, sitting down across from him. He looked up briefly, giving me a small nod.

"What are you doing?"

"Signing witness reports." He responded.

"Ah, yes," I had no idea what he meant, "you mind if I make coffee?"

"Oh, I made some," he turned to face the kitchen, motioning to a pot on the counter near the stove, "there's milk in the fridge if you need it and sugar next to the pot."

"Thanks." I stood up, staring at pot curiously. "Cups?"

"Cupboard, just above the machine." He responded, turning his attention back to his work.

I grabbed a mug and filled it about half way, giving it a quick blow before taking a sip and sighing. I walked to the fridge, grabbing a little bit of milk to pour in before wandering back to the table to sit down. I stretched my arms to the sky, letting out a small yawn, before returning back to normal and taking a couple sips.

"Sleep well?"

I nodded. "How was the couch?"

"Alright." He brought his hand to his neck. "A little uncomfortable, but I've had worse."

"You can have your bed back, you know?" I chuckled.

He shrugged. "I might take you up on that."

"Seriously, don't even worry about me. I just work on a computer, so if my back hurts it's whatever. You're the one chasing down bad guys."

"Fair point." He brought his pen down to his file, scribbling something down before turning the page and repeating the process. "I, uh, have to head out in a few and drop this off. You think you'll be okay?"

I nodded.

"If you give me your key I can stop by your place. Grab some of your stuff."

"Oh shit we were supposed to do that last night." I remembered.

"You seemed exhausted so I figured you should sleep rather than reminding you."

"I was tired." I agreed.

Spencer shoved his work into his bag before throwing it over his shoulder. He walked over to the kitchen and grabbed a reusable cup and poured some coffee inside. He threw on the lid and turned to face me, letting out a small yawn. "You cool with that?"

I nodded and jumped to my feet. I grabbed my keys from my bag, throwing them towards him. "I'll text you a list."

He caught them with ease, nodding. "Sounds good. I'll let you know when I need it." He shoved the keys in his bag and walked towards the door. Before he left he turned to face me, "uh, call if you need anything, okay?"

"I will."

He closed the door behind him. I heard him lock it too. I shook my head, standing up to grab the rest of my stuff. I threw it all on the kitchen table, pulling out my phone, which had been ringing nonstop all morning apparently. I stared curiously. I'd received multiple calls from a number Rich and Duncan. I called Rich first, suddenly feeling worried.