Descriptions

Perrie shut her book close and placed it down on the bedside table. Jade was across the room on her so-called office desk, probably intent to finish her ten-thousand-word essay homework that she told the blonde about a week ago. The homework was not due until two weeks from now so Perrie always admire the fact that the word 'procrastination' doesn't exist in Jade's vocabulary.

"Being a writer must be so difficult, huh?"

Jade peered over her laptop and raised her eyebrows. "Why are you asking?"

Perrie merely shrugged her shoulders. "I just finished reading the book."

"The 'To Kill A Mockingbird' one?"

Perrie just nodded in response, pushing herself off to lean her back on the bed frame. "Like, seriously, the way the author narrates is just ..."

Jade lets out a cackle when the blonde didn't bother to finish her sentence and looked back down the screen of her laptop. "It's kinda easy, actually."

"It's difficult, I tell you."

Jade snorted, still typing away on her keyboard. "You're telling that to your girlfriend whose major revolves around writing."

"I don't even know how you survived the first two years."

"I survived them because I love writing."

"Why do you love writing, exactly?"

"Because it's my way of expressing my thoughts and feelings," the brunette replies simply, "Seriously, babe, I need to focus on my essay."

"Your essay's all about describing things, right?"

"Yup."

"But how do you describe things the way a writer does, exactly?"

Jade smiles and a chuckle slips from her lips. She finally closed her laptop and placed her elbows on the desk with her head propped up on her clasped hands.

"You're being totally inquisitive today," she noted.

Perrie rolled her eyes. "See! You're even using words that only a writer knows the definition of."

"And by writer, you mean everyone who isn't you?"

Another roll of eyes from the blonde. "Are you insulting me?"

"Not only are you inquisitive, but you roll your eyes all day, too."

"Ugh, why are you my girlfriend?" Perrie asks, her expression showing one of faux irritation.

"Because you love my letters I give you everyday."

"Boastful much? I used to receive letters from secret admirers all the time before we were together and I love them."

"Not as much as you love mine though."

"Conceited much?"

"Aww, look at you, my broad range of vocabulary is rubbing off on you."

"You disgust me."

Jade threw her head back and bursts into laughter before standing up to tread towards the blonde. "Come here."

"Where are we going?" Perrie asks her.

Jade silently held her hand and lead them to the kitchen. It wasn't until they stopped literally in front of the island countertop when Jade finally let go of Perrie's hand and motioned towards the table.

"You see that island countertop?" Jade gestured towards the said object, crossing her arms over her chest as she looks at it for a moment before peering back at the blonde.

"Uhm, yeah?"

"Describe it."

Perrie stares at her disbelievingly. "What are you on about?"

Jade tilts her head. "You were so curious as to how I describe things. So I want to know how you describe things, too."

Perrie looked back at the island countertop. "You want me to describe this?"

"Yep."

At first, Perrie was hesitant, but she tried nonetheless, "Well, it's an island countertop ..."

"And what about the island countertop?"

"It's in the middle of the kitchen," Perrie attempts again, "It's sort of too big, now that I think about it. No wonder we always bump into each other when we pass by it."

"Mhmm," Jade simply says in response, "What else?"

"Well, the top is made of concrete which I remember you love because of that sound it makes when metallic utensils are dropped onto it."

"I love you for remembering that after three years of moving in this house. Please do continue, though."

Perrie continues to observe the object in front of her.  "Well, I think that's about it."

Jade looked at her. "That's it?"

"Yes."

"Do you want to know what I see?"

Perrie raised a brow and held her chin up challengingly. "Go ahead."

Jade faced the island countertop with a thoughtful expression this time before speaking up, "I see an island countertop that has been with us through our ups and downs."

Perrie's breath hitched for a moment, so Jade barreled on.

"When I look at that island countertop, I see the same island countertop that holds our plates whenever we eat our food. The same island countertop that had somewhat experienced pain because of all the times we both accidentally drop our utensils onto it. You can even see its metaphorical wounds represented by the visible scratches of the concrete. I see an island countertop that watched and heard us argue over it because of stupid and easily avoidable problems. An island countertop that has felt and tasted droplets of our salty tears whenever we say goodbye ..."

Perrie simply watched her girlfriend ramble on in awe and was praying for Jade to talk all day because there's just something about Jade being all enthusiastic and articulate and expressive with her thoughts that would always make Perrie stop whatever she's doing and just listen attentively to her girlfriend. So when Jade stopped talking, Perrie would be lying if she says she's not a tad bit disappointed.

"I love having a writer as a girlfriend."

"Not a professional writer yet but a writer indeed." Jade giggles as she faces in front of the blonde and plants her palms on the Perrie's waist, drawing her near.

"Talk more, please."

"Okay," Jade says, "Do you want me to describe the couch? Because I'm sure the couch has seen a lot already."

"You're being so confident already now that you get to show off your skills, huh?"

"Of course. I could even describe my surroundings with my eyes closed."

"Well, let's test how well you know your surroundings, shall we?"

"Game on," Jade challenged.

"Close your eyes then."

And so Jade did. Perrie wrapped her arms around the other woman's neck and planted a kiss on her lips.

Then she whispered, "Now, describe what's in front of you."