ένας||one

•A homesickness for a home
you can't return to,
or that never was•

•A homesickness for a home you can't return to, or that never was•

➰ ➰ ➰

  Magnificent and colorful sunrise, beautiful oranges and lucid yellows dance across the sky. As if chasing back the stars to create their own masterpiece, It creates an even more beautiful one in its stead.

To anyone else it would appear to be like any same old sunrise, with the same old colors, but to some– it was the first seen in months. Gianna Roberts is one of these few, and she watches it. Her head is tilted up high with her knees to her chest, and she's distracting herself from the pain with its vibrant streams of light. Though her head is pounding, she can't seem to look away.

Auburn locks blow softly with the wind and brush against her cheek, but Gianna doesn't dare move to push it away; still too caught up in everything that's happened.

Gianna is the leader of her unit– her job is to take care of a set group of people and make the decisions to keep them safe. Their last mission became compromised and, before they could go back to base, Gianna and her entire unit were taken by their enemy. As the commanding officer, she was tortured for information– the kind only she would have. Of course the men never got what they wanted, but they resorted to killing most of her men in cold blood; torturing half of them to death in retaliation. But Gianna never gave in to their demands, even after 6 months of it.

It's very early morning, the sun's just rising. Combat medics, SEALS, and the remainder of her unit are the only ones here. There are workers everywhere, some helping the ones who can't walk and others simply helping out where they can. Everything that's happened makes it feel much later, and Gianna is tired. Not the kind of tired that drags you down to sleepiness, but the kind that keeps you awake and makes your eyes drain of life.

"Commander Roberts," a medical officer approaches the brunette slowly, "we must check your wounds for infections and examine for any other injuries."

The combat medic waits for Gianna to stand up, and then slings one of her arms around his neck. Slowly, he guides her to an area suitable enough to treat her. The pain in Gianna's head becomes more prominent now, almost as if it's laughing at her for trying to ignore it.

There's a searing pain in her side, she knows there are at least a few broken bones in her face, and she's definitely malnourished. The best way to describe how the brunette feels; is terrible –it's not like she looks much better either. Her eyes are dull, like the life has been completely drained from them, her checks are sunken into her face, and her ribs appear to be protruding out. It's obvious the women has been beat nearly to death at least once, and hasn't eaten in weeks. Based on only a medical standpoint, a few more days of this treatment and Gianna Roberts would've been dead.

As Gianna's unit is being sent away from the place they were held–and moved to a hospital in Cincinnati for further treatment–the SEALS are cleaning up from the rescue mission. Unable to keep her eyes open any longer, Gianna closes them slowly; the lack of sleep and constant beatings finally taking over her body. She welcomes the rest willingly, knowing they're all safe now.

➰ ➰ ➰

Mystic Falls
Next day

A letter is sent out to the Roberts' family, telling of the successful rescue of Gianna Roberts and her team. It explains her condition, where she's located currently, and when she's able to return home to her family.

Treyton Roberts, loving twin brother of Gianna, is the first to see said letter, and rushes back inside. "Mother! She's alive, Gianna is okay!" He shouts as his eyes begin to water, happy his sister– his best friend is okay. A pair of footsteps can be heard coming towards the entryway where Treyton is still standing, obviously in a rush.

"Oh my God, honey! Are you serious? Is– is she okay?" An older voice replies, Sarelle Roberts appearing around the corner not a second later. Her long brown waves are tied loosely into a pony tail at the top of her head, and her tired green eyes stare down at the letter in her son's hands. Treyton gives his mother a long look before glancing back at the piece of paper.

"Of course I'm serious! They said she's at Mercy Wealth Hospital in Cincinnati. She's obviously been through hell but she's stable. They're saying it'll be at least a few weeks until she can come home though, but we're welcome to go see her if we'd like."

Sarelle lets out a sigh of relief, before wrapping her eldest in a long hug. She knew the pain he's been going through, as he missed his twin. "We can leave within the hour if you'd like."

She pulls away and runs a comforting hand on his arm. With a nod, Treyton puts the letter down and rushes up the stairs to his bedroom. He packs a weeks worth of clothes, along with a few books and other items he may need.

"Teegan, you staying?" Treyton rushes across the hall and knocks on a door, signing in frustration when there's no answer. He could understand what his youngest sister was going through, and it pained him to see her so closed off.

After knocking a few more times and receiving no reply, he turns away and rushes back to his room. Trenton grabs his belongings and tosses his bag over his shoulder. Once again, he tries knocking on his sisters door, but music blares too loudly for her to hear him. With another frustrated sigh he rolls his eyes and rushes downstairs to grab his keys, and to write her a note to explain where they've gone. A few short minutes later, Sarelle enters the kitchen– suitcase in tow.

"Let's get going. There's a long trip ahead of us." Treyton does one last check of everything, and locks up the house. He unlocks his car and pops open the trunk for his mother right afterwards. Tossing his bag in the car right after her, he gets in the drivers side and starts up the car.

"Can you call Jenna? I want to let her know about Gianna, and ask her to check in on Teegan." Sarelle nods and gets out her cell phone, dialing Elena Gilbert's aunt and guardian. Once Sarelle explains everything to her, she agrees to update Jenna and to let her know if anything changes.

There's only one thing on Treyton's mind as he's driving; Gianna Elodie Grace, is a fighter.

➰ ➰ ➰