chapter six

chapter six

Both boys didn't mean to ignore the other, but college and work got in the way. Jasper had to study for a bunch of tests he had in one week, and Mikey was working harder so he could get a dollar raise. So, they went the week without speaking with the other. November first was normal for the two, but each boy was hiding something he wanted to do to the other. Plus, neither wanted to bring up the fact that something changed between them that night.

Throughout the week Mikey wanted to talk to someone about his revelation about his best friend, but he didn't know who. Aiden would be no help, saying, "I could've told you that." His grandmother wouldn't allow them to be in the same room anymore, even if nothing happened again, and his younger brothers would tease him because he always joked around with them when they talked about someone a lot. So, Mikey had no one to talk to, he couldn't even go to his best friend who would be the best person to do this with.

On the other hand  Jasper didn't talk to his roommates since he didn't know if they'd be homophobic, and his parents would be the worst people to talk about crushes and wanting to kiss your best friend—they only got married and had kids to please their parents. Maybe he could go to his sister, but she would play matchmaker and Jasper didn't want that.

Eventually, after all his tests were over and he was lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling, Jasper reached over for his phone. All he wanted to do was be around Mikey, even if it was just sitting in the same room and doing their own thing. So, he texted Mikey when his night class ended.

Jasper 8:33pm
Hey you want to come over?

👕 8:33pm
;) ?

Jasper 8:33pm
No. I sort of just want to be near you, this week was stressful and I sorta just want to chill in my dorm

When Mikey didn't answer after that, Jasper safely assumed that he was on his way over, so he went on his phone to watch Netflix until his best friend would text saying he's there. Which, wasn't too long.

Jasper let him in and they walked to the triple occupancy apartment room. Mikey veered off to grab some snacks, but Jasper continued back to his room and fell on his bed face first, sighing into the pillow. Everything seemed to hit him halfway through his class and now he didn't know how to handle it. He wanted to sleep, he wanted to put his head through a wall, he wanted to throw things, and a little bit of him wanted to lay on top of Mikey and feel his heartbeat sync up with his own, but Jasper knew that would never happen. So, he stuck with bottling everything up until it exploded sometime later on.

Mikey had his laptop, his reusable insulated bottle filled with soda, the bag of chips he took from Jasper's kitchen, and made his way to his best friend's room. He closed the door with his foot and was about to talk when he noticed his best friend's demeanor. So, instead Mikey set down the items in his arms and made his way to Jasper's bed. He climbed into his spot on the bed—the inside of the bed—and gently placed a hand between Jasper's shoulder blades.

"You okay Jasp?" Mikey asked and furrowed his eyebrows, caring deeply for the twenty-one year old.

A grunt came from the pillow and Mikey unknowingly moved his hand to the back of Jasper's neck and rubbed his thumb across the nape of his neck. Quickly, a shiver shot through the stressed boy's body and it caused Mikey to exhale through his nose and smile shortly. Then, he focused back onto his friend's behavior.

"Jasper, talk to me. What's up?"

Slowly Jasper's head turned and he looked into Mikey's eyes. But, there was a twinge of sadness ruminating across Jasper's face, and Mikey frowned from it. With a split decision, he scooted closer to his friend and opened his arms so they could hug.

Jasper flopped onto Mikey's chest and wrapped his arms around the other boy's neck, letting his one leg slip between his friend's. He could feel Mikey slip his arms around his waist, and Jasper's whole body tingled from it.

Then, Mikey whispered, "want to tell me what's wrong?"

"I'm just stressed, Mikey." Jasper shrugged as best as he could and he felt one of Mikey's hands slip under his shirt to rub his back. It soothed him a little, but his mind was still running like crazy. So, Jasper kept talking.

He said, "I had a bajillion tests this week, I failed like two because I couldn't study for them, and my one class is harder than I thought it would be. I thought, 'since I took another class from this professor, it should be like that,' but no. It's not.

"Oh, also, I found out that I got two zeroes on assignments I know I handed in, so I have to talk to those professors on Monday and I know they aren't gonna be nice. Plus, I have no time Monday with my schedule being so packed. I'm so dumb for taking so many classes–" Jasper closed just hand to make a fist, not knowing he had woven his hand into the bottom of Mikey's hair. But, Mikey didn't say anything about the hair part, instead replying to the self-depreciation part.

He told his best friend honestly, "you are not dumb Jasper. You're hella smart and you will pass these classes, I just know it." Jasper tried to interrupt him but Mikey shook his head. "No, listen to me Jasper. I know how smart you are; I wish I was that smart. I wish I could be in your position because you're amazing. You might not think it now, but just know later on you will come to the realization that you are fucking so smart and awesome, that these professors can suck my dick for doing this to you."

Jasper's whole body warmed from the compliment and he pushed his face into Mikey's sweatshirt. A smile he couldn't shake off pushed itself onto Jasper's face. His best friend tightened his hold and the leg that had been folded up pressed against Jasper's leg, and they stayed like that for some time.

"You're the best," Mikey whispered, completely forgetting about his plans to watch his best friend's favorite show and cheer him up.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
So you might've picked it up, but this is to clean up any confusion there might be. On Mikey's bed Jasper sleeps on the inside, but on Jasper's bed Mikey sleeps on the inside. I didn't make a mistake, it was on purpose. Them having their own spots warms my heart so much!

Also, I go back to college in two days and I can't wait! I'm so excited. The one thing I don't want is corona, but we'll see how this year goes (hopefully ok and with few cases).

Vote, comment, and follow for more stories!