chapter forty-five

chapter forty-five

A whole week passed and when Jasper was chilling in his room before his Human Love, Sex, and Sexuality class he was staring up towards the ceiling. Ever since the class a week ago, his mind had been running like crazy about the topic of love and Mikey. He'd known the guy since they were in middle school, and he knew he loved him as a friend early in their friendship. So, why was it so hard to tell him that same statement but romantically now? Jasper didn't even care if Mikey told him the same thing the last time he said 'I love you', he just wanted to get it out before it ate away at him too much.

As his alarm sounded he was eating a granola bar for a midday snack to hold him over until dinner time came. It was shut off and he grabbed his book bag, dreading walking into the classroom on the second floor. But, he slid into a seat and opened his notebook for the class and waited for the professor to start the class.

Throughout it Jasper jotted down diligent notes and once again left the room feeling weird, but it was mainly nervous from his thought to tell Mikey he loves him. Once he stepped into the campus cafe he pulled his phone out from a pocket in his book bag, working up the courage to text Mikey three simple but heartfelt words.

Jasper 3:17pm
I love you, but like for real this time. I don't mean it platonically

The second he hit send his heart beat raced and Jasper locked his phone and stepped in line for a hot chocolate. The students around him spoke loudly and filled the small place with noise. He could only distract himself for so long until he would compulsively check his phone for a message of rejection. He hated waiting, but it was better than getting rejected seconds after.

Instead of heading straight to his dorm and sleeping this off, he made sure to attend the club meeting for the 'Academics and Athletics Association' from his college that he'd join for shits and giggles. They were having their monthly meeting and it would be a great distraction since he could have his phone on silent and in his bag.

That's exactly what Jasper does once he entered the library, taking the elevator to the third floor. He followed another student to the reserved study room and greeted the other members. They each nodded or said a small hello, and Jasper chose to sit beside the social media account owner for the club; she made every post for every game the college had and promoted the themes the club chose for those games.

Once everyone that was in the club'a higher positions showed up, the president of the club spoke up; "so, there are several points I want to touch on today, and one of them specifically being our Instagram."

.
..
...

The third time Mikey's name flashed across his screen, Jasper took a deep breath and answered it, placing his mechanics pencil down. "Hello," he sung unsurely and bit down lightly on his thumb nail.

From the other side of the call, Mikey breathed out, sounding relieved, and rushed to say, "fucking hell, Jasper! Why didn't you answer the two other times I called?"

Instead of turning the conversation super awkward, Jasper chose to let it be regularly awkward. "I don't know. I didn't want to deal with any type of rejection, but I've prepared myself now."

"Can you just come over? Or can I drive over to you?"

"You pick, Mikey."

Jasper hoped he'd would come to him since then he would be in an area he was most definitely comfortable in, and he could cry to Ricky or Aaron if Mikey hurt his heart—not break, but hurt.

Mikey chose, "I'm going to you then, I don't want Aiden to bug us."

Jasper could tell his boyfriend was slipping shoes on and leaving by the struggling sounds, then the quick bye he said to Marlene. The college student scrunched his nose at the inevitable situation, but hid it by an awkward smile to trick his brain into thinking he was happy Mikey was coming over. Matter of fact, Jasper was happy to see Mikey, but he was scared of the reaction to come.

The two hung up for the short drive and when the latter had shown up to the apartment building Jasper let him in with flushed cheeks and a racing heart. The two silently walked back to Jasper's room and he closed the door softly, leaving it unlocked for purposes.

Eventually, the first to speak is Jasper. He had to get everything off his chest and this would probably be the only time he could do it without having a breakdown.

He started off with saying, "okay, look, Mikey, I know what you said the last time, and that time I was speaking the truth. I did only love you as a friend then, but because of this class and my time to think, I've come to the summary that, yes I love you. I don't care if you don't feel the same way, I just had to tell you before I went crazy from it. Plus–" he prepared himself for what would come after this last part–"I'd like to think I'd be fine if you hated me because of it. Even though I know how you won't."

Jasper's eyes found his socks interesting and stared down at them, ignoring the facial expression of Mikey who was struck with surprise. There was no way he would leave Jasper just because of three words that he would end up saying as well, and Mikey wanted Jasper to know that. He stepped forward to cup his college age boyfriend's cheeks and stood inches away.

He whispered back, "I'm not leaving you for that, Jasper. And, I don't hate you because of natural emotions, I'll get there sometime too—I'm human and you're my boyfriend. I'm gonna love you as a boyfriend sometime, and you will find out at the exact moment."

Pouting eyes stared into his own and Mikey briefly ran a hand through Jasper's hair, wishing to get through to him. He wanted his boyfriend to know he felt something deep for him and that he would love him in time, surely soon he would figure himself out.

"So you for sure don't hate me?" Jasper asked clarification and Mikey shook his head, kissing him briefly. A relieved look washed over the college student and he hugged Mikey's tightly, breathing into his shoulder. Everything would be fine between them and nothing could hurt them significantly.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Haha sike! Next one will be the last normal chapter, and it will be a time jump. I'll post how long in the beginning of the chapter, but it's at least a couple of months. We got that one and then the VERY last one which is an Aiden bonus chapter. I do have an idea for a bonus, bonus chapter but will I ever get around to write? No, probably not.

Vote, comment, and follow for other stories!