chapter twenty-three

chapter  twenty-three

It was radio silence for days—neither Jasper or Mikey apologizing. Mikey didn't have enough courage to face his best friend and crush after saying he didn't care about him when he cared so much. Jasper didn't want to apologize for something he didn't do, all he was doing was being a voice of reason for Mikey and his friend was the one who took it too far. Neither wanted to be absent for Mikey's birthday, but it looked like that would happen if one didn't man up to apologize.

It just happens to be Aiden who was tired of Mikey's silence and pouting. The younger Balm brother, with the help of Cadence, called Jasper when he was going to school. The college student answered gruffly, "what, shithead?"

"Mikey is being annoying."

Jasper exhaled sharply, laughing dryly at the old news. He scoffed, "what's new? He can go suck a dick, I don't care."

Cadence gently took the phone from Aiden and said hello before talking. "That is not true, Jasper, we both know that. I know he's stubborn and being stupid right now, and I'm not sure what happened between you two, but by the way Aiden tells me he cares about you. From the few times I've seen you guys together, you obviously are close enough to realize that whatever was said had to be caused by something big. It's not like Mikey to just up and ignore you right?"

Aiden leaned over his shoulder and asked Jasper, "can you just show up to his party tonight? My grandmother wants to celebrate his and Max's tonight. If anything just show up for Max." Then, out of character for Aiden, he pleads, "please Jasper. Maybe smack some sense into my brother—literally."

Jasper hung up and rolled away from his phone. From where he laid on his bed he could see the present he put together for Mikey—a ton of candy that was his favorites, some anime merch of the characters he has said to be his favorite, and some button down shirts for his work. It was all put together and wrapped, the gifts in a gift bag, but he'd shoved it in his closet after their argument. He even had some smaller gifts for the Balm brother that shared the December 10th birthday.

For the younger brother he'd gotten him a remote control car and Barbie stickers. That also was in a gift bag, but it was sitting by Jasper's door. The bag was a turquoise color with Jasper's handwriting saying 'happy eighth birthday, Maxwell!' in loopy letters—Jasper's trademark handwriting.

.
..
...

When six rolled around and Jasper wasn't at the Balm house, Aiden texted him. His text popped up on the college student's phone that was beside his elbow. He'd been staring at it as the minutes ticked on, leg bouncing.

Aiden               6:12pm
I will drag you here if you don't show up ass

Aiden               6:12pm
Fuck my brother, come for Max

With a huff, Jasper took the two bags and drove to Mikey's home. There were multiple cars along the curb, so he had to walk a little but he didn't mind. When he stepped in he nodded to the relative he'd remembered from Thanksgiving, them giving advice to Jasper about college. Then, the youngest Balm boy bounded down the stairs and his eyes widened at the gift bags.

"Are they for me, Jasper? Both?"

He had a mischievous smirk on his face, but it wiped off when Jasper shook his head, holding up the smaller bag. The eight-year-old curled his lip, but dragged Jasper to where all the other presents were. The bags were set in the living room and Jasper sneakily looked around for Mikey, not seeing him on the first floor.

A hand clamped down on his shoulder and a voice greeted him happily. Mikey's uncle grinned at him and brought him into a tight hug.

"Jasper! Long time no see, how've you been?"

Jasper shrugged and immersed himself in getting comfortable around the Balms, forgetting about his best friend who walked down the stairs and saw Jasper talking to his uncle and cousin. Mikey retreated to another room and hid in there until other relatives found him. He grimaced at their loud voices and his eyes trailed to the kitchen where Jasper was looking in his direction with a sad, but angry stare.

Marlene Balm cut their stare-off short and called for everyone. She produced two cakes, one clearly being for Mikey—small bottles of alcohol on the top of the cake with a 21 candle in the corner. The other cake was a small circular one with 'happy b-day Max' written on top.

They started off with Max since he was the younger one and everyone sang to him. When it was Mikey's turn he was sang to, then one relative handed him alcohol. The twenty-one year old shook his head and pointed to his lip piercing.

"I'm not supposed to drink with this."

A fond memory plagued both boys' mind of that night the same thing was said, and they found each other's eyes.

The relative shrugged and downed the drink and asked for cake to be cut. Marlene was already started on it, cutting out of Max's cake, so Jasper stepped up and took a picture of Mikey's cake. Sneaking a picture of Mikey in one as well, Jasper smiled to Marlene and accepted the piece of chocolate cake. He walked off with a cup of alcohol, not caring about his piercing, and leaned against the wall since all the seats were taken by little kids and older relatives.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jasper saw Mikey staring at him. He looked away after a couple of seconds and took up the relative's second offer for a legal alcoholic drink. He downed it swiftly and thanked them, then walked past Jasper and into the living room. It hurt Jasper to see him act to closed off, but he wasn't about to crack and apologize for something he didn't do.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I'm splitting this and the next chapter up into two. Get ready for them, it's a ride next chapter (hopefully). I'm bored, so have this chapter; classes are over for me and I don't have anything to do anymore.

Vote, comment, and follow for more stories!