chapter seven

chapter seven

He felt a little better after talking it out with Mikey. Thankfully the next week wasn't as bad, Jasper only had to take notes and pay attention in class and he could do that. Halfway through the week though Jasper's sister texted him, asking if he'd want to go to their grandmothers' place for dinner. He agreed, always down for not eating college dining hall food—it was unseasoned and bland, and some times just outright disgusting.

Jasper's classes ended around three, so he spent the extra time in his apartment, snacking on Tostitos chips and melted cheese. He finished a couple episodes of the anime he started watching the other day, something he saw on his TikTok for you page. His attention was averted when Mikey texted with a question.

👕 3:12pm
What would happen if I quit my job right now? What's the worst that could happen?

Jasper frowned at his friend's stupidity, but answered any way.

Jasper 3:13pm
Ummm you would be out of a job Mikey

Jasper 3:13pm
Why do you want to quit anyway? And I thought today was your day off

👕 3:13pm
It is, but Miranda is trying to get me to come in for stupid work. I got today off and I don't want to go but I could use the money

Jasper rolled his eyes and continued to text his best friend, convincing him to keep the job at least until he has another one lined up. Between texting Mikey and his sister, he lost track of time until one of his roommates walked in. Jasper nodded to him, then going back to his phone.

👕 4:02pm
Hey, are you doing anything rn? I really don't want to be around Aiden and his friend because they are being fucking gooshey and oblivious

Jasper 4:04pm
I mean I'm going to my grandmothers with Tessa, but you can probably come with if you want

Then, Jasper was asking his sister if he could bring his best friend with. She agreed, not really caring, and the twenty-one year old relayed the information to Mikey who then gave a thumbs up emoji in response. He went back to chilling on the couch, his roommate sitting next to him with a to-go box from the dining hall. The two boys sat there silently until Jasper's phone vibrated from Mikey telling him he was waiting outside.

"I'll be right back," Jasper muttered to his roommate and left the door open a crack while getting Mikey from downstairs.

The second Mikey saw Jasper he grinned and started talking instantly. He basically moaned, emphasizing on the first half of his statement, "I cannot wait for your grandmother's food; she always makes the best pasta, so I hope she's making that."

Mikey nodded to the roommate and dropped into the spot next to Jasper. There was a twinge of awkwardness around the two boys, but no one said anything. Jasper went on Netflix on the tv to watch a crime show while Mikey went on his phone. Eventually Mikey had laid his head on Jasper's shoulder and got comfortable that way.

Jasper's roommate side-eyed them, looking at Jasper with confusion. He didn't get an answer, only Jasper looking away, focusing intently on the tv show, but also leaning into his best friend's touch.

.
..
...

The two boys sat at the piano, squeezed tightly on the small bench. Mikey's whole side was on fire, but he kept a straight face when lightly pressing the keys. Beside him Jasper's heart was beating erratically from being so close, Halloween night replaying in his mind.

They were playing the sheet music in front of them, but it was mainly Mikey who was successfully playing the piano. He had taken a couple years of it when he was younger and never forgot the technique years later. On the other hand, Jasper had learned from Mikey and could play simple music, but he usually went for randomly pressing keys. It was a quiet compromise that neither boy minded, just being around the other was fine.

Jasper's grandmother walked into her music room—just a room full of the instruments she's played throughout her life. Some of them being the piano, the flute, the cello, violin, and a bit of the guitar. All of those instruments were lain somewhere in the room, but the piano was the main focus of the room.

Mikey turned around when he heard Jasper's grandmother begin to speak. She was asking them, "do you boys want a different book? I have some others in the closet here–" she pointed and walked over to the small closet door. Then, she was grabbing the stack of piano books and walking over to the two friends.

Mikey was glad for the distraction from his best friend's warm body being pressed against his. He listened as Jasper's grandmother explained the different between the books. She recommended one of them, and Mikey let her change them out.

Jasper had stopped pressing keys at this point and watched his friend/crush talk to his grandmother. He didn't mind when his grandmother pushed him off the seat, but he sat against the wall, his wrists set on his knees. A fond look took over his face when he saw Mikey and his grandmother play the piano. It warmed his heart as he watched his grandmother and friend interact. His grandmother sang to the lyrics, they were in some other language, and was clearly impressed with Mikey's skill. Jasper knew his grandmother could play since she's the piano teacher at the local college—not his, but one that was down the street from his.

Tessa walked in and sat beside Jasper against the wall. She grinned when she saw Mikey and their grandmother playing together. There was a wide smile on Mikey's face and it seemed like that was all the twenty-one year old could focus on. But, he averted his eyes when his sister spoke to him.

"They're both really good."

Jasper nodded, humming, "yeah, they are."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
AUTHOR'S NOTE:
So, voila! We have some more Jasper x Mikey time. I honestly love this book which is a surprise for me since I usually never do that. But, here it is and I like it. Also, I know I said once a week, but idk how my days are gonna be in two or so days; it's been crazy at college. So, with that said, I'm publishing this chapter ahead of time. Hope you enjoy!

Vote, comment, and follow for more stories!