Prickly Pair

3rd pov

"Steven! Special delivery!" Pearl exclaimed.

"We've got your dirt, dude!" Amethyst exclaimed.

The gems were delivering bags of dirt to Steven.

"Thanks, guys. Come on in!" Steven exclaimed, walking into his conservatory.

The three followed him inside and were met with a bunch of beautiful planets growing all over.

"Wow!" The three exclaimed.

"How much magic spit did it take to grow all these planets?!" Amethyst exclaimed which made Steven chuckle. Garnet and Pearl put the bags of dirt on the ground.

"I grew these the old-fashioned way." Steven said.

"So this is what you've been doing sense you left Little Homeschool." Garnet said.

"Yeah, working at the school was great, but I don't think it's my calling. Besides, watching the Off Colors graduate was so bittersweet." Steven explained.

"Well, I think this is a wonderful way to get in some much needed 'you' time." Pearl said.

"'Me' time? I'm hardly alone!" Steven said, crouching down in front of a blue flower. "This lil' smartie is named Connie. This onion is named Onion. And these perennials always come back. That one's Sadie and the rest are her band, 'Daisy Clover and the Shrub-spects.' This orange flower is named Holly, isn't she beautiful?"

Steven then walked over to a pink flower.

"I named this one 'Lars'." Steven said and then started to baby talk. "You're stuck in the ground, aren't you? Not gonna zip into space and leave evwyone behind, isn't that right?"

Pearl and Garnet looked at each other, concerned.

"Uhhhh, Steven?" Amethyst said and then ate some of the dirt from a bag.

"This may not be the healthiest approach to your new hobby." Garnet said.

"I'm just having a little fun, that's all! B-But seriously, everything's going great." Steven said.

"In that case, we'll leave you to it!" Pearl exclaimed.

"Have fun with your plants, dude." Amethyst said.

The gems then walked out of the conservatory but then Garnet peaked her head back in.

"You should keep a close eye on your cactus." Garnet said then left. The door shutting behind her.

"Huh?" Steven then turned and saw his cactus in a pot on a table. It wasn't doing so good. Steven then sighed.

"What am I doing?" Steven asked himself and walked over to his cactus. "Is this really my thing now? Plants?"

Steven then took a scalpel and cut off the top of the cactus.

"Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl aren't even impressed. Guess plants aren't as cool as liberating the galaxy..."

Steven then got a new pot and but some dirt into it.

"Now! To give you a home." Steven then went to pick up the cactus but he pricked himself. "Ah! Yowch."

Steven then put his finger in his mouth to stop the pain but then he accidentally got some of his spit on it. He then used his hand to put the cactus into the dirt, getting the spit on the cactus.

"There you go. That should do it." Steven said, brushing the dirt off his hands, then his stomach growled. "Ooh, sounds like lunch time. I'll be back later to check on ya."