Prologue

"Alari, you need to go." The soft, yet urgent whisper came from my mother. She was at the corner of the dimly lit cave, my two brothers and one sister whimpering around her. I was only 9 months older than my siblings, but I was still thin and small for a wolf my age.

"But, mom-"

"No!" My mother snapped, causing one of my siblings to whine in fear. "You must leave now. Take Seff and go to the river bank. I'll be with you soon."

I wait a moment before obeying, meeting my mother's worry-strickened eyes as I lean down to grasp my brother's scruff. He whimpers as the warmth of his siblings is pulled away from him, replaced by the crisp air of winter. I stare at my mother for another second before turning and darting out from the cave.

Cold air blasts my face as I push through the ferns hanging over the ledge of the rock surrounding our cave. The clearing our small pack lives in is thick with fluffy white snow, now beaten down by paws and striped with mud. Wolves whimper and howl around us, some in fear, some in pain. I flatten my ears to block out the torturing sounds, but I feel like it does nothing.

I swallow a lump in my throat and dive through the snow, Seff swinging limply in my jaws. His beautiful brown and golden fur is puffed up in fear, and I can imagine his brown eyes wide with confusion.

I yelp in surprise as a large wolf pushes against my shoulder, throwing me sideways into the snow. Shivering at the impact of the cold, I scramble back to my paws, keeping a tight grip on Seff's scruff. I dart around, looking for the wolf. Once I give up in trying to find him, I flick my ears in annoyance.

"Alari?"

I turn my gaze to a majestic grey wolf standing amid the panicking wolves. I gasp and run to him, placing Seff gently at his large paws.

I gaze into his amber eyes. "Dad, what's going on?"

Except for a slight flick of his tail, he hides his fear well. "The hunters have come. Take Seff and run to the river. Hide in the roots of the tall oak, but don't come out until we get there."

Shivers of dread run up my spine, lifting the hair on my back. "H-hunters?"

My father dips his head quickly, then rasps his tongue gently over Seff's head. "You need to go now. Don't wait for us."

I swallow a sob and grasp Seff in my jaws again, carefully to keep him in my grip. My fathers gazes at me for a moment before leaning forward to place his nose on my forehead, and I feel tears brim in my eyes.

"Be strong," he tells me, his voice steady despite his growing fear. "Don't turn back."

Before I have the chance to say goodbye, he has already whisked past me. I whine and think of my younger brother, who depends on me for his survival. I take a deep breath in, the chilly air hurting my nose. Then, without looking back at my home, I dart into the woods.

The wind that rushes past me feels like sheets of ice shredding my skin, but I press on. I have to get to safety, a warm dry place for Seff and I. The moons casts shadows from the tree, making them look like ghostly hands reaching out to grab me. I gulp and rush forward, in the direction of the river. My paws slam against the snow, crunching the soft whiteness under my weight.

I whisk past bushes, even if the branches scrape my sides. I feel myself falling as my paw catches on an upturned root, but I manage to gain my footing and keep running. I hear the eerie hoot of an owl, waiting for just the right moment to snatch a young wolf pup. I tighten my grasp on Seff so much I hear him whimper.

When my paws finally felt like they would give out, I heard the rushing sound of the river. My eyes light up in joy and I stumble towards the noise.

The river is large, but I could cross it. But I do what my parents told me to do.

I scan my surroundings, looking for the tall oak tree. At once I catch sight of it, several feet away from the bank of the river. The snow feels like its made its way into my skin, but I stumble urgently to get there.

The tall oak is on a tiny hill, and the roots have overgrown the small cave-in, so that it forms a large, dry area. I sink down onto the ground of the cave, resting Seff between my paws. His eyelids drop once he snuggled against me, and I listen to his slow breathing with my eyes closed.

I wait for the sound of thrilling paws against snow, rushing to meet me, but they don't come. In the distance, I can hear loud, echoing blasts and the cries of my pack. I shiver and curl my tail around me.

The night wears on, and snowflakes begin to fall from the sky. They tumble down, landing silently on the snow-covered ground. For a second I have the urge to wake Seff and have him join me in playing in the snow, but he is still sound asleep. Letting out a quiet sigh, I rest my head beside his and sleep.

-------------------------------

I expect to wake up to the sight of my mother's warm face, but I am only greeted by the cold night air. The continuing howling has ceased, and the only sounds of the forests are of the river. The snow hasn't stopped, and my limbs feel numb from the cold.

I carefully drag myself and Seff over to the farthest part of the cave, wishing hopelessly for warmth. And that's when I notice that Seff doesn't wake.

My mind goes blank and I feel like a part of me has been ripped out. I press my nose against him in attempt to wake him, but he only falls limply to the side. I let out a loud whimper and rise to my paws, licking my younger brother furiously.

"Seff!" I cry, loud enough for the whole forest to hear me.

After a moment, I sit back on my haunches and look at his body in despair. My dear younger brother has died because of me, because I couldn't keep him warm enough.

I shiver as wind blasts into the cave, buffeting my fur. I cast a glance outside, in hopes that I will see my family. But I am only greeted by the whispering winds of winter.

I stumble back, falling next to Seff's side. I hang my head and whimper, my throat tight and my heart hurting.

I stay with Seff until I know I must leave. His body is cold, and there's no use in waiting. I know that they won't come, because of what the hunters did.

I take a deep, shaky breath in, than began to dig. I sweep the dirt behind me, then lay Seff's body gently inside it. I hold back a sob as a cast a last glance at my brother, than kick the rest of the dirt over. I couldn't leave him for the scavengers to have. He will be safe here.

I step outside stiffly, the cold piercing my nose. I can't stay here. The hunters could find me.

So I run.