Chapter 18.

I wanted to see my doctor, the doctor I had been seeing since I was a teenager

I wanted to see my doctor, the doctor I had been seeing since I was a teenager. But, Kazimir put his foot down, saying he needed a doctor he could trust. I wanted to put up a fight and demand we use my doctor, but I also knew that I'd have to choose my battles carefully. We were no longer living in the ignorant bliss. Well, he was never the ignorant one, I was.

But now my eyes were opened and I was fighting that internal battle of trying to figure out to best way handle my situation. I couldn't just leave, that wouldn't work. There would be nowhere I could hide from him. Also, my heart didn't want to leave. My heart, the weakling it currently was, loved him. Part of me thought that I only felt that way because I was romanticizing the whole thing. Like Stockholm syndrome, where the victim falls in love with their kidnapper. Only, I walked into this willingly.

I was sitting on the bench seat near the window in our room. The property was covered in a light layer of snow which had reminded me it was almost Christmas. It was still early for snow, so I knew it wouldn't be sticking around longer than a day or so. Regardless, I enjoyed the sight. My knees where pulled up to my chest and my arms were wrapped tightly around them. I didn't even look up when I heard the door open and two pairs of feet enter.

"Florence, this is Dr. Volkov." Kazimir's tone told me all I needed to know about his current mood. He wasn't about to put up with any bullshit or attitude.

Turning towards the two men, I saw the hard look on Kazimir's face. The doctor, who was an older man, had a kind smile on his wrinkled face but I wasn't buying into it for a minute.

"Ms. Grace, it's a pleasure to meet you. I hear that we are expecting a little one. Congratulations."

Unfolding my legs, I stood to my feet. "Where do you want me?" I asked with a bored tone. The doctor looked confused at this, glancing between myself and Kazimir with questioning eyes before motioning to the bed.

"That will be fine. Go ahead and lay down. We will do a vaginal ultrasound as that's the best way for us to see how the far along you are. From then on, we can do a normal ultrasound.

I did as I was told, and he set up the portable ultrasound machine on the bedside table. It was hooked up to a laptop so we'd be able to see the baby and possibly hear the heart beat if I was far enough along. I was impressed, if anything, that they were able to make these types of home visits. I hadn't realized doctors still did this. But, if you had enough money, I'm sure they'd do anything.

"It might be cold." He warned as he brought the wand to my entrance. It felt awkward and intrusive, causing me to frown at the feeling.

Kazimir stood behind him, looking over his shoulder at the screen. He glanced at me slightly but focused on the strange image. It took the doctor a moment but then he smiled and pointed at the screen.

"There you have it. That right there is your baby, by the size of the fetus, I'd say your about 8 weeks along. Do you want to hear the heartbeat?" He asked with a hopeful tone.