Chapter 4

Even with the heavy rain, she could see and hear that the saloon was busy, music and drunken laughter spilled out onto the streets.

"Boss, I'll put the horses away." Pat had to yell over the heavy rain and it sounded odd to hear.

"I'll see if there is a room for rent." Lincoln called back, "Meet me inside when you are done." He added as he dismounted.

Sabrina watched him approach, she was cold and could feel her temper rising as he reached up to her. "We should have sought out shelter." She snapped at him.

"Woman, I am as wet and miserable as you are." He must have been in a sour mood because he caught the hem of her blouse and hauled her out of the saddle of the horse. She fell hard into his chest and shoulder, the added weight of her wet clothes was not something he had adjusted for as they both fell backwards into the slush of mud.

"Honestly you are the most useless thug I have ever met!" She said in exasperation as she pushed herself up off him, her knees wobbled before giving out and she came down, knees-first, onto his stomach. His shout of pain did little to ease the fury she felt and she grabbed the stirrup to pull herself back to her feet, her legs ached from holding tight to the saddle and it took her a moment to gain her balance.

This infuriating man would be the end of her if she didn't escape soon and she'd prefer a bullet over catching her death of a cold.

"Here, now you can stop scowling at me, I didn't cause it to rain." Lincoln glowered as he threw a towel at her as he strode into the small room he had rented. The cloth hit her in the face and she ripped it down in anger.

"If you didn't kidnap me, I wouldn't be in this mess." She snapped while wrapping the towel around her, the small iron stove in-front of her was doing nothing to dry her soaked clothes.

"You'd still be caught out in it even if you were on your own." He closed the door with his boot as he started to unbutton his shirt.

"Where is Pat?" She asked him as he approached.

"He went to go find Smith if you must know." He explained as he stood next to her while holding his shirt out to dry it, the torrent of rain had managed to wet any spare clothes they had stored in the saddle bags.

"I want to bathe." Sabrina demanded as she turned towards him, his grey eyes narrowing at her question.

"That will cost money, and I am short on it as is." He said seriously as he turned his shirt in his hands, and she couldn't help but glance over his muscled chest, it was obvious he had worked hard his whole life.

"Did you not take a cut of the wealth stashed at my fathers house?" She asked him in confusion, returning her gaze to his stern face.

"I'm not taking that cursed money." Lincoln muttered at that, as if the mere suggestion had offended him.

"Oh so you won't take an outlaws money but you'll steal his daughter." Sabrina scoffed in outrage as she stormed over to the other side of the room, needing to be as far away from him as possible. "I'll pay for a bath myself." She told him.

"What makes you think you can do what you want?" Lincoln said at that. "The men out there won't be as kind to you as I am." He told her.

She half laughed at that, "With them at least I know who and what they are. You are pretending to be one of them." She moved to her bag and grabbed her small purse out of it.

"You don't know anything about me!" Lincoln thundered at that. "You're not leaving the room." He told her as he walked over to sit on the edge of the bed and bent to unlace his boots.