Chapter 15

Flouncing down the stairs, she hurried into the main room to find her uncle. "Uncle Jesse, will you come to dinner with me?" She asked him as she hurried to his side.

"Dinner?" He questioned with a slight frown.

"Yes, at the diner." She explained to him as she lent into his side. "It's my last night here." She added with a slight pout.

"Alright alright." Jesse said with a laugh, "You are paying aren't you?" Jesse asked her as he shuffled the deck of cards.

Sabrina rolled her eyes at him, "Fine if I must." She said in amusement.

"When are we going?" He asked her as he started to deal them out.

"In an hour, perhaps. So don't get too drunk." Sabrina explained to him, "I'm inviting the others too, do you think they will come along?" She asked as she twisted her hands anxiously.

"I'm sure if you ask nicely they will, they all have doted on you." Jesse answered as he looked over the cards in his hands, "Now, give me a kiss, it worked last time." He added as he tapped his cheek.

She smirked while leaning down to kiss his cheek, "I shall be back to collect you for dinner." Sabrina told him.

"Alright Sprout." He waved her away and she wondered across the room to Jacob, he was playing a game of dice with a saloon girl perched on his knee.

"Jacob, will you come to dinner at the diner?" She asked him.

"Is this your sister?" The saloon girl asked the broad man as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Sabrina looked over Jacob's dark hair and dark eyes...maybe they could pass as siblings.

He smirked slightly, "She might as well be. Sure thing little Miss." He told her as he tossed the dice onto the table.

"Great, I'll be back to pull Jesse away from the tables when its time to go." She explained with a smile, happy that the men had warmed up to her over their travels.

"Sound's good. Lewis is currently occupied upstairs but I can let him know when he comes down." Jacob suggested and she nodded as an answer before turning and walking away.

The music was loud, and this saloon had a small platform for the ladies to perform from.

"Sabrina." Caleb's fingers linked with hers and she twisted to look up at him in surprise. "Come." He started to pull her out of the saloon.

"Caleb, what are you doing?" She asked in confusion as she pulled her hand from his.

"Did you honestly want to spend your time in the saloon watching the show girls?" He asked her with a slight frown.

"No, but what else is there to do?" Sabrina questioned in confusion.

"How about let's just walk?" He suggested as he started down the board walk and she hurried to fall into step beside him.

"But I want to know why?" She protested as she watched the people around them, courting couples walked close to each other. Children ran around their parents, playing together while their parents socialised.

An aching longing hit her heart as they passed a woman with a small fussing infant.

"Just let me know when you're ready." Caleb's voice drew her out of her observations.

"Ready for what?" She asked quickly, hoping he hadn't been talking and she had just shut him out with her foolish thoughts.

He lent down at that, bringing his face closer to her ear, "When you want a baby, know that I am here to assist." He said lowly.