Part 2: The Old Flower Shop

"You know, Eddie? I don't think I'm cut out for the track."

"Really. After that eight minute mile?" Eddie joked.

"Yeah. Not funny. I'm just glad that was a practice."

"You're right there!"

I only joined track because my parents have been forcing me. They told me I need to 'bulk up.' If I could, I would quit. I'm thinking of trying baseball out instead.

Eddie and I always walk home together after school since we live on the same street. We only live about ten minutes from the school if we walk, so every day we walk the same way through town. I didn't think there would ever be anything new. Especially in the old flower shop.

The flower shop closed around the time I was forced to quit choir nine years ago. They had suffered a major financial crisis when many of their plants died. The street it was on was always very quiet. People would only come here when there was going to be a big event or party. The bakery here made amazing cakes and the building next to it was always available for party rentals.

The buildings on the street are all made of brick. Most of them have awnings above their doors with the name of the building. Marie's Flower Shop is the oldest building there. Brian's Bakery is located right next to it. Across the street there are two apartment buildings owned by Old Mrs. Myers.

"Hey, Mark! Look at the flower shop!" Eddie said excitedly.

I hadn't been paying attention as Eddie slowly walked faster than me. When I came around the corner I could see a group of people working on the old shop. I could also see a moving truck.

"Looks like someone bought the shop."

"Yeah, I can't believe it! This is the most exciting thing that's happened around here in a while!"

"What do you think it's gonna be, Eddie?"

"I don't know. I hope it's an arcade!"

"Why an arcade?"

"Don't you think it would be fun to hang out after school at one?"

"Yeah. That would be awesome!"

An arcade would mean that I wouldn't have to go directly home. Though I doubted that an arcade would be moving on to this street. Sometimes you can't do anything but hope. I hoped it would be open soon.

The next day, as we were on our way back from practice, they were unloading the truck. That's when I saw it.

"Mark, check this out."

"What is it?"

I looked over at the shop and saw them unloading different instruments out of the back. Violins, drums, trumpets, and tubas were all being unloaded, but that's not what caught my interest.

"Whoa! Is that a guitar?" I exclaimed.

They were moving a tan colored acoustic guitar similar to those that a country singer would play. It's definitely my favorite instrument.

"Yeah. I guess it's not an arcade then."

"I guess not," I sighed although I was not the least bit disappointed.

"When it opens we should check it out," Eddie suggested.

"Sounds like a plan."

I was so glad he suggested it. I could never go into a place like that alone. Now I could tell my parents I was hanging out with Eddie.

Eddie's brother played the drums before he went to college so Eddie knew something about music. It's actually how I met Eddie. I was watching a parade when his brother went by. I was amazed at the amount of precision of the way his brother timed each step. Eddie's family happened to be standing next to ours.

"Whoa! He's awesome!"

"That's my brother!" Eddie exclaimed as he tugged at my shirt.

We were just in second grade, but that day we started talking and we became friends at school too. Eddie never got into music, but he always had respect for it because of his brother.

"Sounds like a plan? I know you're dying to visit that shop!"

"You're right, Eddie."

He understands that I love music, but my parents don't support it. That's the main reason we're good friends. I understand his love for sports and struggle in academics, and he understands my love for music.