Part 32: First Date

Bzzzt! Bzzzt!

I slammed my alarm off, but it didn't wake me up. I had already been up for at least an hour. I had been thinking about the upcoming date this afternoon for hours with the same doubts: will I be able to pull this off. She's probably been on multiple dates before unlike me, and I only know what I've seen in movies (Which isn't much). I mean, what person would spend all their time watching romance movies!

Twelve o'clock, is when I told her I'd meet her. I had settled for Fox's pizza, the park, and visiting Marie's Flower Shop. I added Marie's Flower Shop, because I wanted to check it out and I would be in the area. I'm not sure if this was an acceptable first date, but I didn't know what else I could do. At least I would be able to admit that I tried without any empty words.

After I got dressed it felt like time flew by, and it was quickly time to go and pick Fiona up at her house. My parents were out shopping so I left a note on the counter and picked up the keys before leaving. I was excited (and nervous! If that wasn't already obvious.) to be going on a date with someone I liked. Just like the time I flew out the door and bounded to the car sliding in the key to start the vehicle. I couldn't afford to be late.

When I arrived at her front door I was glad I had washed my best clothes ahead of time to wear today. What I saw was a beautiful sight for my eyes! She was wearing navy blue everyday shorts with a yellow shirt tucked into them, and a light blue jean jacket thrown over top. I could tell she put more effort into her look today than she normally would have. (She looked so cute.)

"Uhhh . . . Hey, Fiona. You look - good."

I was definitely blushing. I tried to push it down, but I couldn't manage to hide it. (How do you guys manage!) She was absolutely beautiful!

"Hey, Mark," Fiona said in the softest (and sweetest) tone I ever heard her talk in.

"Are you ready?"

"Yeah. Let's go!"

I opened the car door for her in an awkward gentlemanly gesture. I could see a goofy smile forming on her face, and I could tell that I might be trying to hard.

Lunch was the same as it always was, but I think this was the first time we had ever eaten alone together. It wasn't something I was thinking about while we were eating, but I thought about it a few hours after our date was over.

In the park we walked, and talked about school and got to know each other better than we already did. It was nice, now that the flowers were in full bloom, and the trees leaves were greener than the grass. As we walked I made a game of trying to match the different shades of blue with Fiona's eyes; although I couldn't find anything that could match them.

As we worked our way toward the flower shop, I couldn't help but notice Fiona's smile. I remembered her expression before I had met up with her at the nightclub. That time she seemed more angry until she saw me, and that was when I realized that she really did care about me.

"Fiona?"

"Yeah?"

"When you were talking to Candy at your graduation, were you talking about that guys you and Candy liked, and that's why you both were looking toward us and quickly changed the subject when I came over?"

"Possibly," she said with a grin.

"If you're gonna use possibly, at least try to pretend that it's a fifty-fifty chance!" I complained jokingly.

We were at the front door of the Marie's Flower Shop, so I opened the door like it was habit more than a simple gesture this time.

"Thank you," she said as she walked through the door this time without trying to hold back a laugh.

The flower shop was lined with different types of plants; trees, flowers, and fruit plants were everywhere. Some of the flowers hadn't even bloomed here.

"It's so pretty!" Fiona gasped.

I couldn't think of a response as detailed as Fiona's, but I agreed.

"Welcome to . . . Mark! Is that you?" Marie asked as she came out from the back room, knocking her head against some of the hanging plants.

"Yeah. Hi, Marie. I didn't know you still remembered me." I was in shock.

"I wouldn't have, if Jason hadn't showed me the video of you from the talent show. When he told me you were Lillie and Charlie's boy I knew you immediately."

I laughed a nervous laugh.

"Oh, I'm sorry miss. Who are you?" Marie apologized noticing Fiona standing awkwardly looking at flowers.

"I'm Fiona," she said moving her gaze from the flowers to Marie, but glancing at me for a second. "Mark's girlfriend."