Part 30: Spring Break

It was the time of year the magnolias would begin to bloom and college students would flock to the beaches, as I headed home for spring break. The trees were green, and the sky was filled with thin cirrus clouds streaking across the sky. I could also see jet lines that followed the planes that flew across the sky. As I drove by I spotted farmers planting their yearly crops, and people mowing their lawns for the first time this year. The smells of spring filled the air as they drifted through my open car windows.

My parents had called me and asked if I would be home for break, and I confirmed that I would be. Eddie had asked me to hang out with him for a while during the break, so that gave me a reason to come home. Eddie also said that Candy would be home for spring break too.

After dropping my suitcase off at my house, and I walked over to Fox's pizza to hang out with Eddie. It wasn't something new to me, yet I felt older as I walked down the familiar street. I realized that I wasn't the same person I was a few years ago attempting to learn guitar. I had acquired a few friends along the way, and one of them may help me become a professional in the music industry like I always dreamed of doing.

Nothing in our town had changed since I left, and Fox's was a good example of that. Upon opening the door, Eddie stood up from the booth and waved me over with a mischievous grin that made me wonder what he was up to. It didn't take long for me to find out, because I quickly noticed two other people who I knew.

"Fiona! Candy! How are you guys.. Err.. Girls," I said excitedly before rethinking the context.

Candy answered first with a hug and saying, "College is so much fun, but it's way harder than I thought it would be."

"Long time no see, Mark," Fiona stated with a smile as Candy let me go.

"Yeah, nice to see you again."

What was wrong with me? Why was I so awkward around her? I don't remember being around her feeling like this!

"Wow! I'm surprised. Did you plan this Eddie?"

"Yes I did!" he said confidently until Candy elbowed him in the ribs. "With Riley's help."

"Fiona, did you know?" I asked and she shook her head. "Thanks guys. It's nice to be together again."

"I agree!" Fiona added.

Fiona had not changed her style too much except instead of her black flowery jacket she wore a denim jacket over a white shirt. Candy's hair had lost a lot of its pink dye color and you could now see the blonde hair underneath. Her hair still had a pinkish color, but it wasn't the same as in high school. Eddie was wearing ripped up work jeans and a ragged t-shirt telling all of us he had come here straight from work.

We spent the next hour talking about our lives after high school. Eddie, who had been living with his parents, had been working for his father to eventually get a house of his own. Art school for Candy had been stressful and sometimes difficult, but she had really enjoyed doing something she loves. She still had to take basic classes though. Fiona was taking the easiest classes in her first few years of college, but she planned to begin taking some of the harder classes once she could understand them a bit better.

Afterwards Candy and Eddie went out together and left Fiona and I alone to walk home. 

"So much for hanging out with Eddie," I muttered.

"I'm just glad they've been getting along alright after all this time," she stated.

"Me too. It's just surprising that Eddie and Candy have been able to keep going even though they are apart most of the time."

She looked at me for a second, and then continued walking.

"How's your band doing," she asked.

"It's really fun, and I enjoy it especially since I don't have to get a job."

"I really don't know how you do it with college and all. Mine was disbanded when I left."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

We paused for a moment, and I decided that I wanted; no needed to find out something about her.

"Do you like someone, Fiona," I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah, you."