PROLOGUE + CAST

PROLOGUE

          ISABELA CALERO STARED the lady who was sat in front of her in the eyes, unwavering. Her back was straight and her features sharp. Arlo had always said she was confident for someone her age— maybe even more confident than most 17-year olds, but that was only because Izzy had her to look up to all these years. Without Arlo, Izzy wasn't sure what she'd do.

"Isabela, I know you're angry, upset and worried. But I'm gonna need you to cooperate with me here and answer a few questions." the woman started as Izzy had just stayed silent, staring at the woman harshly, not recoiling. "Can you do that? For your sister?" Izzy finally nodded hesitantly. "I wonder, what is your relationship like with your sister?"

"We argue like all siblings do, but I love her with all my heart. She's the only one who's been there for me for years. And I don't always see it. I'm realising it now more than ever."

The detective leaned forward. "Did Marina's passing affect her a lot?"

Izzy glared at the woman. "Of course. Marina was our friend. And Arlo was the one who found her. That would affect anyone."

"Has your sister made anyone angry over the last few months? You know, anyone who would want to hurt her?"

"No. Everyone I know loves Arlo. I can't imagine anyone wanting to hurt her." Izzy revealed. "She's literally like the most likeable person in the world."

The woman quirked an eyebrow. "Are you sure? Think back over the last few months since Marina's death, maybe did you see your sister arguing with anyone?"

Izzy swallowed. She had seen her sister argue with a few people, but she couldn't imagine anyone of them hurting her. "Yeah. I saw her arguing with Guzmán. But that's not new, he's kinda stupid. But he'd also never hurt her."

"And how do you know that?"

"Because everyone knows how he feels about her and the other way round."

The detective raised her eyebrows. "When your sisters not looking after you, what is she doing?"

"Nothing like shady like drug dealing, if that's what you're thinking. She's a pretty average, lowkey boring, 17-year old. She studies, plays guitar, volleyball and hangs out with her friends. She rarely ever goes to parties, only ever has one alcoholic drink and smoking is a strict no."

"How do you know that?"

"She's my sister. And she spends most of her nights in. She hates parties. When she does go, it's to get her friends to shut up or to get me to shut up. I'm like kinda relentless."

The detective licked her lips. "What is her relationship like with Samuel?"

Izzy sighed. "They're very good friends. He spent a lot of time hanging out with me and Diego over the months."

"Do you like him?"

"Samuel? Yeah, he's the best."

"Do you like Guzmán?"

"Of course."

"And you're aware of their dislike towards one another?"

Izzy nodded. "Yeah."

"Would you say Guzmán was jealous of Arlo's relationship with Samuel?"

"Um, no. He wasn't happy that Arlo was friends with the brother of the guy who killed his sister, but I don't think he was jealous either."

The detective squinted her eyes at Izzy. "You know a lot about the current situation with Marina." She noted.

"Arlo tries to keep me protected from all the gory stuff, but that's what social media and the internet is for." Izzy explained. "Plus, Marina was my friend too. I wanna know."